We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3902 / 51°23'24"N
Longitude: -2.3563 / 2°21'22"W
OS Eastings: 375306
OS Northings: 165744
OS Grid: ST753657
Mapcode National: GBR 0Q9.YXF
Mapcode Global: VH96M.3BP3
Plus Code: 9C3V9JRV+3F
Entry Name: 1 and 2, Cleveland Place East
Listing Date: 12 June 1950
Last Amended: 15 October 2010
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1394636
English Heritage Legacy ID: 510036
ID on this website: 101394636
Location: Walcot, Bath and North East Somerset, Somerset, BA1
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Tagged with: Building
CLEVELAND PLACE EAST
(East side)
Nos.1 AND 2 (Formerly Listed as:
CLEVELAND PLACE EAST Nos.1-7
(Consec))
12/06/50
GV II
Two terrace houses. Now shops. Probably H.E. Goodridge, c1827-30 (lease of No.4 sold 8th October 1831); altered c1900.
MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, roofs unseen, moulded stacks to party walls, truncated except to rear of No.1 to left.
PLAN: Double depth plan.
EXTERIOR: Four storeys including attic storey, symmetrical three-window front with blind windows to the party wall. Coped parapet, cornice and cornice band to attic, bands above and below second floor cornice, second and first floor moulded sill string courses and first floor lintel. Wide pilasters to quoins create recessed panels between them, horizontal to attic and square to upper floors. On pilasters, at attic level, are small circular windows set in carved stone wreaths. Three/six-pane sash windows to attic storey, moulded architraves to six/six-pane second floor sash windows, moulded archivolts to semicircular arched recesses over stone mullioned tripartite six/six-pane sash windows to first floor. C1900 shopfronts project with moulded cornices to fascias. No.1 has segmental pediment over set back central door flanked by three pane segmental arched overlights to plate glass windows. No.2 has four pane plate glass window with door to right.
INTERIORS: Both inspected by Bath Council 1987. No.1 timber stair with Doric newel, first floor large Victorian mahogany fireplace with glazed arched cupboards either side and early Victorian console fireplace with low cupboards either side in back room. No. 2 similar stairs, stone fireplace and regency hob in rear room.
HISTORY: These buildings, part of the Late Georgian Cleveland Place and Bridge development of the Bathwick Estate, contained shops from the beginning. The estate owner assumed the title of Marquess of Cleveland in 1827. The plans for Numbers 1-3 drawn on the house deeds drawn up between Edmund Goodridge and others dated 2nd August 1831.
SOURCES: (Bath Preservation Trust, 'Beyond Mr Pulteney's Bridge' (exhib. Cat. 1987), 34; Finch G: Bath City Council Shopfront Record (1992); Jackson N: 'Nineteenth Century Bath - Architects and Architecture' (1991), 70).
Listing NGR: ST7530665744
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings