This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4011 / 50°24'3"N
Longitude: -4.9652 / 4°57'54"W
OS Eastings: 189374
OS Northings: 59889
OS Grid: SW893598
Mapcode National: GBR ZL.XT5G
Mapcode Global: FRA 07HZ.MGY
Entry Name: Milestone 350m East of White Cross Crossroads
Listing Date: 25 October 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1395364
English Heritage Legacy ID: 508250
Location: St. Enoder, Cornwall, TR8
Civil Parish: St. Enoder
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Columb Major
Church of England Diocese: Truro
25-OCT-10 (South side)
Milestone 350m east of White Cross Cro
Milestone erected in the mid-C19 for the Newquay Highway Board. Granite monolith. It is set back from the road, rectangular on plan and stands approximately 0.70m high. It has a pent head with chamfered shoulders and is painted white. Its front (north) face is inscribed in sans serif capital letters: NEWQUAY/6. The lettering is picked out in black.
The Newquay Highway Board was established under the Highways Act of 1835 and was responsible for erecting a series of milestones, all to the same design, on the three principal routes into the town. The milestone on the A392 to the east of the crossroads at White Cross forms part of this group and is considered to date from sometime between 1835 and 1852.
REASONS FOR DECISION:
This milestone on the south side of the A392, east of the crossroads at White Cross, which was erected by the Newquay Highway Board in the mid-C19, is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: A legible and intact example of a mid-C19 milestone which remains in its original position
* Group value: It forms a good group with other designated milestones erected along the principal routes into Newquay
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings