History in Structure

Victoria Bridge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kingsmead, Bath and North East Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3835 / 51°23'0"N

Longitude: -2.3732 / 2°22'23"W

OS Eastings: 374121

OS Northings: 165008

OS Grid: ST741650

Mapcode National: GBR 0QH.6T8

Mapcode Global: VH96L.TH77

Plus Code: 9C3V9JMG+CP

Entry Name: Victoria Bridge

Listing Date: 11 August 1972

Last Amended: 15 October 2010

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1395490

English Heritage Legacy ID: 510895

ID on this website: 101395490

Location: Westmoreland, Bath and North East Somerset, Somerset, BA1

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bath

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Bath St Michael Without

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Tagged with: Bridge

Find accommodation in


656-1/29/2483 Victoria Bridge

Suspension bridge. 1836. By James Dredge, engineer.
MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar and wrought iron.
EXTERIOR: Single span suspension bridge with plain classical ashlar arches on either bank, attached pylons on each side of segmental arch, plain blocking course and pedimented entablature. Treatment same on both faces. Arches carry suspension chains made up of seven flat wrought iron links rivetted together at intervals. Suspension rods tensioned at different angles, and are Dredge's Patent (see cast iron plaque on bridge, which reads `DREDGE PATENTEE BATH'). Deck made of wrought iron girders and carries wooden roadway been tarmacked and flanked by iron safety railings.
HISTORY: The bridge employs a suspension system first used by Captain Brown on the Union Bridge near Berwick-upon-Tweed, which dates from 1820. `The load on the suspension cables was balanced evenly by arranging them at increasingly acute angles to the main catenary cables as they approached the centre of the bridge' (Buchanan). This bridge is now used only for foot traffic, but nonetheless remains an important survivor (in largely unaltered condition) among early suspension bridges. The bridge was completed in December 1836, but named for accession of Queen Victoria in 1837. Dredge, a local engineer, had submitted a comparable design to the Clifton Suspension Bridge competition, won by Brunel. It was repaired in the 1940's. The bridge, an impressive example of Neo-classical masonry as well as of innovative iron technology, is also a monument to the heavy engineering, which was associated with West Bath from the early C19.
SOURCES: R.A. Buchanan, `The Industrial Archaeology of Bath' (Bath 1969), 10.

Listing NGR: ST7412165008

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.