History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lock 4 at Tf 050988, Caistor Canal

A Grade II Listed Building in South Kelsey, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4746 / 53°28'28"N

Longitude: -0.4193 / 0°25'9"W

OS Eastings: 505011

OS Northings: 398701

OS Grid: TF050987

Mapcode National: GBR TXJ8.05

Mapcode Global: WHGGW.JXKP

Plus Code: 9C5XFHFJ+R7

Entry Name: Lock 4 at Tf 050988, Caistor Canal

Listing Date: 2 April 2004

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1396413

English Heritage Legacy ID: 501254

Location: South Kelsey, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN7

County: Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: South Kelsey

Built-Up Area: South Kelsey

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: South Kelsey St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Thornton le Moor

Description

359/0/10005
02-APR-04

SOUTH KELSEY
Lock 4 at TF 050988, Caistor Canal

II

Canal lock. c.1793-5. Ashlar in fine large blocks. Cast-iron fittings.
The lock chamber is approx. 14 feet wide and 60 feet long (probably built to take Humber Keels, the usual type of boat used on the waterways connecting with the Humber). There are recesses for paddles in the lock sides within the upper gate recesses, with tunnels to take the water around the gates into the chamber. There are no corresponding tunnels at the lower end, the paddles probably being in the missing gates. There are cast-iron brackets at the top of each of the lock pivots, set into the top of the stonework. Some of the square iron surrounds to the tunnel entrances, against which the paddles would have rubbed, survive. A C20 vehicle bridge spans the chamber but this is not of special architectural interest.

HISTORY. The Caistor Canal was built under an Act of Parliament of 1793 following the survey of the engineer William Jessop in 1792. It was disused by 1877. It ran from the River Ancholme Navigation eastward towards the town of Caistor, but only about half was constructed and it reached to the village of Moortown, a distance of about 4.5 miles. C19 OS maps show six locks. The highest of these, near the basin at Moortown, had totally disappeared by the 1960's together with any other remains of a wharf, basin, or buildings there might once have been at the village end. However the other five locks survive and are complete except for gates and paddle gear. The whole series of these locks and bridge is a significant survival of C18 canal engineering and displays an impressive quality of construction.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.