This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2357 / 52°14'8"N
Longitude: 1.2098 / 1°12'35"E
OS Eastings: 619266
OS Northings: 264581
OS Grid: TM192645
Mapcode National: GBR VLZ.SSP
Mapcode Global: VHLB1.X2DF
Entry Name: Oak Tree Farm House
Listing Date: 12 February 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1408946
Location: Kenton, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Kenton
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Kenton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
House. Mid C16, slightly altered c.1600, and with, in mid C20, the rebuilding of the service end and a later service wing. Timber-framed with, in part, wattle and daub and a small amount of brick infill. Some plaster remaining. Colourwashed and rendered brick to rebuilt service wing. Pantile roof with brick ridge stacks. 3-unit plan originally, with slightly later further service wing at right angles, the service end and this wing rebuilt mid C20. The parlour and hall units survive though long unoccupied. L-plan, the original range gable facing. This range probably becoming lobby-entry c.1600. 2 storeys. Facing gable has concrete block to ground floor, with close-studded framing above. Massive jowled wall posts and mid rails and cranked braces. On left side to centre left a doorway with panelled door, the upper panels glazed, and various openings and remains of diamond mullion or sunk quadrant moulded wooden windows. Close-studded framing also with massive wall posts and mid rails. Similar on right side with some loss of framing though posts and wall plates survive. One complete diamond mullion window on first floor to far right. C20 rebuilt part adjoins at rear.
INTERIOR. The large parlour unit occupying 2 bays of framing has heavy chamfered joists and bridging beam. Remains of probably original red paint on studs. Brick stack with open fireplace and hood. Hall unit has heavy joists and fireplace probably remodelled C18. Early C19 winder stair in the lobby entrance which was probably created when brick stack replaced timber-framed smoke hood c.1600. Framed partitions on both floors. Over the first floor a queen post roof survives unusually intact with 4 cranked tie beam trusses and curved wind braces and coupled rafters. First floor ceilings have longitudinal chamfered tie beams and were probably inserted c.1600. Further cranked braces visible. In the rebuilt wing a large brick stack with open fireplace survives.
Although deterioration has taken placed in the unrebuilt wing this wing is larger than normal, has significant survival of mid C16 fabric and an unusually intact roof.
The farmhouse forms a good farmstead group with barn to north east (q.v.).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings