This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8357 / 50°50'8"N
Longitude: -0.7734 / 0°46'24"W
OS Eastings: 486473
OS Northings: 104738
OS Grid: SU864047
Mapcode National: GBR DGS.H9K
Mapcode Global: FRA 968W.NJJ
Entry Name: Eastgate Hall
Listing Date: 18 September 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1416404
Location: Chichester, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Chichester
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Whyke St George
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
SU 8604 NW
Non-Conformist Chapel, later hall. Dated 1728 in tablet over main entrance, a rebuilding of a chapel of 1671. C20 additions to lower part of front not of special interest. Stuccoed with tiled rear gable and gabled tiled roof. Rectangular on plan. Entrance front has stone coping with kneelers with central urn and side ball finials. Cambered 20-pane sash with vermiculated surround. Under the C20 lean-to extension is a central datestone which reads "Rebuilt ANNO DOM 1728". Below this is the original central round-headed doorcase with keystone, impost blocks and original double leaved door, each with 3 fielded panels and L-hinges. The front elevation now has two further C20 openings at the sides. The side elevations each have two round-headed 15 fixed pane casement windows with Gothick heads, some of which retain coloured glass. The rear elevation has a C20 tile-hung gable and two round-headed openings with C20 casements.
INTERIOR: barrel-vaulted roof supported on each side on three octagonal wooden columns with chamfered bases on stone plinths. Raised dais to rear with panel to centre.
HISTORY: Chichester's oldest Non-Conformist chapel. 1671 Baptist Church on this site rebuilt in 1728. By the early C20 it was a Unitarian Chapel and later a hall. One of the founders of the Baptist Chapel was George Smith, grandfather of the three Smith brothers known as the Chichester painters. The painters' father, William, was Minister of the Eastgate Chapel.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings