History in Structure

Roman Catholic church of St Mary and St Romuald

A Grade II Listed Building in Yarm, Stockton-on-Tees

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.5071 / 54°30'25"N

Longitude: -1.3536 / 1°21'12"W

OS Eastings: 441952

OS Northings: 512607

OS Grid: NZ419126

Mapcode National: GBR LJZB.R3

Mapcode Global: WHD74.5ZP6

Plus Code: 9C6WGJ4W+RH

Entry Name: Roman Catholic church of St Mary and St Romuald

Listing Date: 2 March 2016

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1425128

Also known as: St Mary and St Romuald

ID on this website: 101425128

Location: Yarm, Stockton-on-Tees, North Yorkshire, TS15

County: Stockton-on-Tees

Civil Parish: Yarm

Built-Up Area: Yarm

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirk Levington St Martin

Church of England Diocese: York

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


Roman Catholic church, 1859-60 by Hadfield and Goldie (thought to be the work of Goldie). High Victorian Gothic style. The later rectory to the North is not included in the listing.


Roman Catholic church, 1859-60 by Hadfield and Goldie (thought to be the work of Goldie). High Victorian Gothic style

MATERIALS: red brick with buff sandstone dressings and a welsh slate roof with iron crest and ornamental tiles.

PLAN: the church is oriented north-south and the following directions are liturgical. Three-sided chancel and an aisleless nave with a north porch, behind which rises a large tiered bellcote; vestry and side chapel at the south east corner.

EXTERIOR: situated at the south end of Yarm High Street forming a visual closure to the town. The buff sandstone dressings are used polychromatically especially to the nave window heads and the arch to the porch and form bands to all elevations. The chancel is polygonal, each side pierced by triple lancets set within recessed square panels with dentil tops. The nave is separated from the chancel by a buttress; the former has a brick plinth with stone coping and is of four bays, the western most bay comprising a north porch with belfry rising above; the porch is buttressed and has a large pointed-arched entrance and the belfry is flush with the north nave wall and rises from a broad base with a recessed pointed arch through a series of offsets to an octagonal cap surmounted by a cross. The nave windows are flush with the nave walls and are pointed arched of two-lights with bar tracery. The window heads are alternating sandstone and brick and with sill, impost and eaves stone bands. A later C20 brick buttress supports the west end of the nave. The rear of the nave has a pair of identical windows and the lean-to side chapel with west and east windows similar to those of the nave but with segmental-pointed heads. A lean-to vestry is attached to the chapel with a tall chimney with a stone cap rising above. The west end has thin brick and stone corner buttresses and a large pointed-arched window of five lights with early decorated tracery.

INTERIOR: the walls are plain and painted and there is no structural division between the nave and the sanctuary; a panelled seven-sided roof covers the whole. The windows lighting the sanctuary have patterns of coloured and grisaille glass and each is flanked by foliated shafts and linked by a sill band which continues around the sanctuary wall to the left terminating in a foliated stop. The sanctuary wall to the right has a blind pointed arched and a pair of blind shoulder-arches with a hoodmould terminating in a foliated stop. The ornate reredos with integral stone altar is of Caen stone and considered to be original; it has a central tabernacle with painted decoration to the door. To either side there are square panels with censing angels. The altar front is inlaid with red and buff tiles. The side chapel has panelled walls to dado level and the rear wall bears a wooden altar front panel inscribed with the HIS monogram, said to be from a former altar in the Friary. Stations of the Cross on the nave walls are a C20 addition and the mid-C20 benches are simple with chamfered-off corners on the eastern faces. The west window has stained glass to the memory of Thomas Meynell who died in 1863.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: to the front of the church there is a low red brick wall with stone coping set with plain railings; at regular intervals there are rectangular pillars with multi-sides stone caps and a pedestrian gate to the north porch. These features contribute to the special interest of the church.


Post Reformation Catholic worship has a long history in Yarm. In 1695 Mass is said to have taken place in the Friary, home of John Mayes; the wooden altar panel housed in the side chapel at the present church is said to date to this time. In 1795 the Meynell family, owners of the Friary, fitted out a chapel in the roof space and were served by Jesuit chaplains. By 1840 there was a parish priest who acted as chaplain to the Meynells. The present building was a gift from Thomas Meynell to his wife, Jayne. The couple spent three months of their honeymoon in Florence where they came in contact with Camaldolse monks whose order had been founded by St Romuald of Ravenna – hence the saint’s inclusion in the dedication. The church was opened on 3 May 1860. It is considered that the stained glass of the west window inserted in 1863 was probably by John Hardman Powell. Stations of the Cross were given in memory of a First World War soldier Robert Wilford.

In 1937 the church was transferred to the Diocese of Middlesbrough. The nave benches were replaced in 1952 and the side chapel was repaired at the same time, however refurbishment in the 1980s restored the side chapel to its original configuration. Vatican II alterations included the removal of alter rails, a pulpit and a wooden screen across the side chapel.

Reasons for Listing

The Roman Catholic church of St Mary and St Romuald, 1858-60 to designs of Hadfield and Goldie is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: a well-detailed example of the use of structural polychromatic brickwork, popular in the 1860s;
* Composition: maximising its location in the market town of Yarm, the church forms a prominent local landmark with a dominating and confident bell tower;
* Fixtures and fittings: the high alter is well-detailed and the high quality stained glass window is consistent with the quality work of John Hardman Powell;
* Degree of survival: it has an intact exterior, and the inevitable minor re-ordering of the sanctuary and the replacement of the wooden benches do not detract significantly from the church's overall interest;
* Architect: George Goldie was one of the foremost C19 Catholic architects in England and this church is a relatively early example of his work, which compares favourably with other listed examples.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.