This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8225 / 51°49'21"N
Longitude: -0.6664 / 0°39'59"W
OS Eastings: 492010
OS Northings: 214606
OS Grid: SP920146
Mapcode National: GBR F48.LCM
Mapcode Global: VHFRP.DGK6
Entry Name: Marsworth War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 August 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1427635
Location: Marsworth, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP23
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Marsworth
Built-Up Area: Marsworth
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Marsworth
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
Marsworth War Memorial stands in the north-east of the churchyard of the Church of All Saints (Grade II*-listed), in a prominent position in the village. It is a tall Portland stone cross with an octagonal shaft and arms. The cross head has square terminals. The shaft ends in a moulded foot, standing on a square plinth. That stands on a three-stepped base. The inscriptions are carved in recessed panels on each side of the plinth.
(north face) “GREATER LOVE HATH/ NO MAN THAN THIS,/ THAT A MAN LAY/ DOWN HIS LIFE/ FOR HIS FRIENDS.”
(east face) (11 NAMES)
(south face) IN/ GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF/ THE MEN OF THIS/ VILLAGE WHO FELL IN/ THE GREAT WAR OF/ 1914 – 1918
(west face) 1939 – 1945/ (3 NAMES)
The war memorial commemorates the men of Marsworth who died in the First World War. It was unveiled on 7 August 1921 by Lord Rothschild. The architect was AJ Gurney of Marsworth. The stone was presented by Mr NW Mead and the memorial cost £140. One of the casualties named on the memorial died at home on 1 December 1918 and is buried in the churchyard. A further inscription and names were added at a later date to commemorate those who died in the Second World War.
Marsworth War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of All Saints at the junction of Church Lane and Vicarage Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Group Value: with the Church of All Saints (Grade II*-listed) and the Lychgate (Grade II-listed).
Other nearby listed buildings