This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3714 / 51°22'17"N
Longitude: -2.5485 / 2°32'54"W
OS Eastings: 361914
OS Northings: 163735
OS Grid: ST619637
Mapcode National: GBR JS.SX85
Mapcode Global: VH891.SS2K
Entry Name: Pensford War Memorial
Listing Date: 9 December 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1430676
Location: Publow, Bath and North East Somerset, BS39
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Publow
Built-Up Area: Pensford
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
First World War memorial, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial, in stone, consists of a Celtic cross decorated with carved Celtic patterns in relief set on a rough-hewn rectangular column with a moulded base, which rises from a rough-hewn square plinth that sits on a two-stepped square base.
An inscription on the front face of the plinth reads 1914 THE GREAT WAR 1918 / IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY, followed by a list of those who fell in the First World War, and “THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”.
In addition, the right flanking face of the plinth bears an inscription that reads 1939 – 1945, followed by a list of those who fell in the Second World War, and “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS”. The inscriptions are attached in lead lettering.
A low curved wall surrounds the front of the memorial, whilst a higher curved wall surrounds the back of the memorial. A square plaque on the back wall reads SITE / PRESENTED BY / MISS ELLEN FLOWERS.
The land on which the memorial stands was donated by Miss Ellen Flowers, a local resident. Built by Messrs F Blacker and Sons of Clutton, with the masonry work being undertaken by Messrs J A Ford and Sons of Publow. The memorial was unveiled on 11 July 1925 by Colonel the Hon E Strachey and dedicated by the Archdeacon of Bath. After the Second World War the names of those who fell in that conflict were added to the plinth. Conservation and repair work was carried out in 2003, funded by War Memorials Trust, including changes to the inscriptions on the memorial.
Pensford War Memorial, unveiled in 1925, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: a well-executed Celtic cross.
Other nearby listed buildings