This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9697 / 54°58'11"N
Longitude: -2.4628 / 2°27'46"W
OS Eastings: 370470
OS Northings: 563999
OS Grid: NY704639
Mapcode National: GBR CB7Z.L8
Mapcode Global: WH912.4BHZ
Entry Name: Haltwhistle Memorial Cross
Listing Date: 19 November 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1430835
Location: Haltwhistle, Northumberland, NE49
Civil Parish: Haltwhistle
Built-Up Area: Haltwhistle
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Haltwhistle Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
First World War memorial, 1926, with later additions for the Second World War.
Haltwhistle Memorial Cross stands in a garden to the south of the new Haltwhistle Memorial Hospital. Built of Greenlaw stone, c6m tall, the memorial comprises a Greek cross rising from a tapered shaft with a moulded foot, which stands on a tapering, square, plinth. That stands on a three-stepped, square, base. The cross is flanked by two low side walls that finish in short, square, piers.
Both faces of the cross bear interlace carvings representing eternity. At the bottom are two leverets representing Belgium. Swooping down are two birds of prey (Germany and Austria). Two rats represent the horrors of war. Squirrels with oak leaves and acorns represent the British Empire. Two owls represent the wisdom of God, and the whole is surmounted by the Dove of Peace.
The front face of the plinth bears an inscription that reads IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THOSE FROM THIS DISTRICT WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ AND IN THE WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945. Rectangular bronze plaques on the front face of each end pier list the names of those who fell, arranged by village. Above these plaques are incised inscriptions that read 1914 – 1918. Rectangular bronze plaques on the front face of the low side walls list further names. Above these plaques are incised inscriptions that read 1939 – 1945. Each of the four plaques has a raised border of Celtic knots.
The memorial is surrounded by paving and a low stone wall. This enclosure is approached from the south by a flight of steps leading up from the garden.
The original Haltwhistle Memorial Hospital, built at a cost of c£7,000, was opened in August 1922 by Mrs Hope-Wallace. Placed in front of the hospital, to the south, Haltwhistle Memorial Cross was unveiled on 13 November 1926 by Brigadier General EPS Riddell CMG DSO and dedicated by the vicar, Reverend Canon EB Hicks. It was designed by the architectural firm of Messrs Hicks & Charlwood of Newcastle, with carvings by Robert Beall, architectural and monumental sculptor of Newcastle.
After the Second World War an inscription was added to the plinth and plaques to the side piers to commemorate those who fell in that conflict. The memorial underwent restoration in 1996. The old Memorial Hospital was demolished in 2010 and a new building, which is not listed, was erected on the same site, opening in 2014.
Haltwhistle War Memorial, situated in front of Haltwhistle War Memorial Hospital, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant, elaborately carved cross.
Other nearby listed buildings