This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5402 / 51°32'24"N
Longitude: -0.0465 / 0°2'47"W
OS Eastings: 535572
OS Northings: 184171
OS Grid: TQ355841
Mapcode National: GBR J7.QXX
Mapcode Global: VHGQV.4KS5
Plus Code: 9C3XGXR3+3C
Entry Name: War memorial at St John of Jerusalem Church
Listing Date: 4 January 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1431918
Location: Hackney, London, E9
Electoral Ward/Division: Victoria
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Hackney
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John of Jerusalem South Hackney
Church of England Diocese: London
War memorial. Erected 1921.
War memorial. Erected 1921.
MATERIALS: carved from limestone.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial stands in the churchyard of St John of Jerusalem Church. It is immediately south-west of the church tower. The memorial comprises a Latin cross rising from a tapering chamfered shaft, together c.3.5m high. It stands upon an octagonal plinth 0.7m high and a three-tier stepped base 0.5m high. At the centre of the cross are the letters: HIS; denoting the first three letters of the Greek name for Jesus. On the reverse are three interwoven circles; a symbol of the Holy Trinity. Recessed panels are set into each side of the plinth. A bronze plaque on the west face of the shaft bears the dedication in raised lettering: IN MEMORY OF/ those Parishioners/ who for the Faith/ and Honour of/ Christendom died/ gloriously for/ ENGLAND/ 1914-1919. Below it, in the west panel of the plinth, is another bronze plaque with an inscription in raised lettering: In memory of the/ PEOPLE OF/ SOUTH HACKNEY/ who gave their lives/ in the war/ 1939-1945/ and in subsequent conflicts/ GRATITUDE SORROW/ PENITENCE.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 23 November 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw a huge wave of public commemoration with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. One such memorial was erected in 1921 to commemorate residents of South Hackney who died during the conflict. The memorial was dedicated on the 22nd October 1921 in the presence of local clergy, dignitaries, a choir of 160 voices, detachments of uniformed organisations and the general public. An address was given by Lt General Sir Francis Lloyd who served as Major-General commanding the Brigade of Guards and General Officer Commanding London District during the First World War, and as such was responsible for the defence of London. The memorial was erected in place of temporary shrines on nine local streets, which had been decorated with flowers, flags and symbols of martial glory. One located on Palace Road (now Frampton Park Estate) was dedicated to 111 men from 70 houses that had gone to serve by the summer of 1916. Queen Mary visited these shrines and the Church of St John of Jerusalem in August 1916 where she saw a list of men who had been killed and a reredos in their memory. The Queen gave the Rector a framed print of The Great Sacrifice by James Clark (1858-1943).
The church contains five panels bearing the names of about 180 men and one woman who lost their lives during the First World War. A plaque remembering those from South Hackney that were killed during the Second World War and subsequent conflicts was added to the memorial in 2006.
The war memorial at St John of Jerusalem Church, Hackney, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as a First and Second World War memorial that has strong cultural and historic significance within both a local and national context;
* Commemorative: it forms a poignant reminder of the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Group value: it stands alongside the Grade II* listed St John of Jerusalem Church and within the boundary of the Grade II listed churchyard wall.
Other nearby listed buildings