Latitude: 52.4531 / 52°27'11"N
Longitude: -1.9589 / 1°57'32"W
OS Eastings: 402889
OS Northings: 283902
OS Grid: SP028839
Mapcode National: GBR 5LL.BJ
Mapcode Global: VH9Z2.0L8V
Plus Code: 9C4WF23R+6C
Entry Name: Harborne War Memorial
Listing Date: 2 February 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1432600
ID on this website: 101432600
Location: Harborne, Birmingham, West Midlands, B17
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Harborne St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
Tagged with: Memorial
First World War memorial, 1921.
The memorial stands in the churchyard of the parish church of St Peter (Grade II). It is located to the south of the church adjacent to the footpath, on a hexagonal paved area. The memorial is constructed of limestone and comprises a Latin cross rising from an octagonal plinth on a two-stepped base. The cross shaft has four faces with bevelled edges, with a smaller Greek cross inset into the upper part. At the centre of the cross arms is a raised lens with IHS carved in relief. Both sides of the memorial are decorated in this way. The foot of the cross shaft is moulded and includes three small shields carved in relief. These depict a chalice, a wreath and two crossed staves. Around the top of the plinth is inscribed IN REMEMBRANCE OF THE MEN OF HARBORNE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES with 204 names recorded on the plinth faces below.
Harborne War Memorial, by local stonemasons Loxleys, was funded by the people of Harborne. It was dedicated on 20 September 1921 in commemoration of those local servicemen who died in the First World War.
In 2013 work was carried out to restore some of the names on the memorial which had become illegible through erosion. The work was carried out with support from the City Council, Lillie Johnson Trust, War Memorials Trust and other benefactors. Repointing and sharpening of the lettering was carried out by William Parratt Masonry Ltd.
Harborne War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Peter, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: a tall and well-executed memorial cross;
* Group value: with the Parish Church of St Peter (Grade II).
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings