This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.3727 / 54°22'21"N
Longitude: -0.681 / 0°40'51"W
OS Eastings: 485785
OS Northings: 498264
OS Grid: SE857982
Mapcode National: GBR RKPW.C9
Mapcode Global: WHGBH.HCY5
Plus Code: 9C6X98F9+3J
Entry Name: Bridge over a tributary of the Eller Beck
Listing Date: 18 February 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1432619
Location: Lockton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO18
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Lockton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Lockton St Giles
Church of England Diocese: York
Very simple masonry arched bridge, possibly built by John Carr in 1803.
MATERIALS: coursed, squared sandstone with herring-bone tooled ashlar voussoirs and buttresses.
DESIGN: very simple, single-arched masonry bridge that does not appear to have been widened. The segmental, almost semi-circular arch is formed with a single ring of ashlar voussoirs, the arch flanked by plain buttresses that rise to form piers within the plain, low parapets which have rough, plain coping stones.
The Pickering to Whitby road, now the A169, was in use in the C18 and is shown on John Cary’s 1794 map of North Yorkshire. Eller Beck Bridge (listed grade II) located on this road was widened in 1803 to the design of John Carr of York. It is possible that the bridge over a tributary of the Eller Beck, situated 50m south west of Eller Beck Bridge was built around the same time. In design it is certainly consistent with an early C19 date.
The bridge over a tributary to the Eller Beck, on the A169 50m south west of Eller Beck Bridge, is listed grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Date: as a little-altered example of a very simple masonry arched bridge built before 1840;
* Group value: with Eller Beck Bridge 50m along the same road;
* Association: for the possibility that the bridge may have been built by John Carr when he widened Eller Beck Bridge in 1803.