This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3017 / 51°18'6"N
Longitude: -0.5374 / 0°32'14"W
OS Eastings: 502060
OS Northings: 156855
OS Grid: TQ020568
Mapcode National: GBR GD4.8Y8
Mapcode Global: VHFV8.MJRZ
Plus Code: 9C3X8F27+M2
Entry Name: Old Woking War Memorial
Listing Date: 7 March 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1432851
Location: Hoe Valley, Woking, Surrey, GU22
Electoral Ward/Division: Hoe Valley
Built-Up Area: Woking
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Woking St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
First World War memorial of 1920, with additions for the Second World War.
The war memorial stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Peter in Old Woking village. The memorial comprises a Cornish granite wheel cross decorated with Celtic-style tracery including rosette motifs. It is set upon a tapered column on a rectangular plinth. This is set upon a three-stepped base.
An inscription is carved on the east face of the plinth which reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN PROUD AND LOVING/ MEMORY OF THE MEN FROM THIS/ PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914-1919.
THEIR NAMES ARE INSCRIBED ON/ A TABLET IN THE CHURCH PORCH.
Underneath on the base is inscribed: 1939-1945.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 6 December 2016.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was erected at Old Woking as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War.
It was constructed by G Maile and Sons, sculptors and church furnishers (especially stained glass), based in Euston Road, London, The memorial was unveiled on 28 November 1920 attended by local people, clergymen and dignitaries including Brig Gen C P Scudamore and Admiral T P Walker, both of whom lived in Woking.
Following the Second World War, a further inscription was added.
Old Woking War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified granite wheel-head cross with decorative details;
* Group value: with the adjacent Church of St Peter listed at Grade I and several Grade II-listed gravestones in the churchyard.
Other nearby listed buildings