History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War memorial at the Church of St Andrew, Cheddar

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheddar, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2731 / 51°16'23"N

Longitude: -2.776 / 2°46'33"W

OS Eastings: 345965

OS Northings: 152942

OS Grid: ST459529

Mapcode National: GBR MH.00JR

Mapcode Global: VH7D1.T8TF

Plus Code: 9C3V76FF+6J

Entry Name: War memorial at the Church of St Andrew, Cheddar

Listing Date: 30 March 2016

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1433913

Location: Cheddar, Sedgemoor, Somerset, BS27

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Cheddar

Built-Up Area: Cheddar

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Cheddar

Summary


A First World War memorial, dating from 1920; designed by Fred E Openshaw, architect and made by Harry Hems and Sons of Exeter.

Description

A First World War memorial, dating from 1920; designed by Fred E Openshaw, architect and made by Harry Hems and Sons of Exeter.

MATERIALS
Doulting stone.

DESCRIPTION
The memorial resembles a medieval preaching cross. The closed lantern head has corner pinnacles and a central finial, and is heavily crocketed. Opposing faces have relief carvings of the Crucifixion and the Virgin and Child; the other two faces have depictions of St George and St Michael in relief. The lantern is set on a foliate capital above a tapering shaft with elaborate chamfers and stops, which stands on a moulded, square plinth. The whole is set on a two-stepped platform, the upper step with a moulded foot. The plinth has carved inscriptions in a Serif font. The front face is inscribed: PRAISE GOD AND REMEMBER / THE MEN OF CHEDDAR / WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914-1919. The other three faces are inscribed with the names of the 33 men who lost their lives in the conflict.


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 14 December 2016.

History

The war memorial at the Church of St Andrew in Cheddar was dedicated and unveiled in June 1920, as part of the great wave of commemoration of the sacrifice made by the fallen from communities across the country. The memorial was set up at the instigation of Rev J N Wallis, the vicar of St Andrew’s. The memorial was designed by Fred E Openshaw, an architect practicing in Oxford, and carved by Harry Hems and Sons, a prolific and recognised firm of sculptors. The form replicates a medieval preaching cross. The memorial in the churchyard of the Church of St Andrew is one of two First World War memorials set up in the town; the other is a more conventional cross, set at a major road junction, which also serves as the Second World War memorial (Listed Grade II).

Reasons for Listing

The war memorial at St Andrew’s Church in Cheddar is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design interest: a well-executed stone memorial, of unusually elaborate form, resembling a medieval preaching cross with extensive carving;
* Group value: with the Grade I listed Church of St Andrew, at the centre of whose Garden of Remembrance the war memorial stands.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.