This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2737 / 51°16'25"N
Longitude: -2.7761 / 2°46'33"W
OS Eastings: 345960
OS Northings: 153017
OS Grid: ST459530
Mapcode National: GBR MH.00HF
Mapcode Global: VH7D1.T7SW
Plus Code: 9C3V76FF+FH
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173613
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268768
Location: Cheddar, Sedgemoor, Somerset, BS27
Civil Parish: Cheddar
Built-Up Area: Cheddar
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
CHURCH STREET (West side) Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Coursed and squared rubble, lead roofs, coped verges. C14, C15, restored in 1873 by William Butterfield. Nave with clerestory, short chancel clasped by large north and south chapels, north and south aisles, the latter with a further chapel and porch, north porch, tall west tower. Predominantly Perpendicular, some Decorated features.Three stage tower with diagonally connected set-back buttresses ascending to shafts and pinnacles; parapet pierced with quatrefoils, stair turret with a pinnacle; triple two-light bell-chamber windows to third stage, that to centre louvred, those flanking blank; large four-light west window above a door, above two figures of the Annunciation in niches; interior of the tower with a lierne vault. Further similar pierced parapets to nave, aisles, and chancel, with pinnacles. Decorated two-light clerestory windows, three-light Perpendicular aisle windows, further large Perpendicular windows to chapels east window of the restoration. Interior with C14 aisles of five and one half bays, further C14 arches to north and south chapels; later elaborate panelled arch to south aisle chapel incorporating three figures in the respond; chancel arch of the restoration.C14 roofs to nave and north and south aisles with colouring and gilding by Butterfield, similar treatment to C19 wagon-roof to chancel. Painted C15 stone pulpit, chancel with restored C13 piscina. C19 parclose screens to north and south chapels probably incorporating earlier work. C15 carved bench ends, particularly in north aisle. Painting in south aisle chapel of C17 by Jan Erasmus Quellinus, Christ at Emains; this chapel also with some C15 stained glass; further C19 stained glass. Altar table of 1631, chest tomb in chancel to sir Thomas Cheddar of 1442 with a brass, further brass to his lady of 1474 at its base; opposite the remains of a further chest tomb. Early C14 font with a C17 cover. Large paintings of 1810 under tower, time and death, previously flanked chancel arch, probably moved at the time of the restoration. C17 chest. Peal of eight bells, earliest probably pro-Reformation. Some C19 wall monuments. (Pevsner, The Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST4596253017
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings