History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beales Lane Footbridge over the River Wey

A Grade II Listed Building in Weybridge, Surrey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3782 / 51°22'41"N

Longitude: -0.4579 / 0°27'28"W

OS Eastings: 507423

OS Northings: 165473

OS Grid: TQ074654

Mapcode National: GBR 29.WS6

Mapcode Global: VHFTY.0MSC

Entry Name: Beales Lane Footbridge over the River Wey

Listing Date: 20 March 2006

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1436171

Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT13

County: Surrey

Electoral Ward/Division: Weybridge Riverside

Built-Up Area: Weybridge

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Addlestone

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Weybridge

Listing Text

WEYBRIDGE

BEALES LANE FOOTBRIDGE OVER THE RIVER WEY

II

River footbridge. Later C19, built between 1868 and 1898. It carries a footpath over the river Wey from Beales Lane to Whittet's Ait.
EXTERIOR: Constructed of cast and wrought iron with a concrete aggregate deck and approach. Span of 18m, comprising a segmental arch with twelve wrought iron latticed panels, each panel capped with iron ball finials and alternate panels have iron brackets to the base. The ends have square cast iron piers with pyramidal tops with ball finials. The pathway and approach is of cement aggregate. The southern approach retains four tapering cast iron bollards, three of which have a central ball-shaped projection and ball finials. The northern end has three identical cast iron bollards.
HISTORY: The exact date of construction is not at present known and the bridge itself is not dated. Designs, held in the Surrey History Centre, for a very similar bridge, which was to have been built further upstream at Byfleet, were dated 1846 but never constructed. The Tithe map of 1844 shows a bridge in this position. The Ordnance Survey map of 1868 shows it as disused and the map of 1898 shows it as being in use again, suggesting the bridge was built between 1868 and 1898.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: A later C19 single span cast and wrought iron footbridge retaining also its approach path furniture, an intact and architecturally embellished example of an uncommon building type.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.