History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cricklade War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Cricklade, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6439 / 51°38'38"N

Longitude: -1.8545 / 1°51'16"W

OS Eastings: 410165

OS Northings: 193910

OS Grid: SU101939

Mapcode National: GBR 3RV.ZY0

Mapcode Global: VHB2Z.SYZ5

Entry Name: Cricklade War Memorial

Listing Date: 2 December 2016

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1437344

Location: Cricklade, Wiltshire, SN6

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Cricklade

Built-Up Area: Cricklade

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Cricklade

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Cricklade

Summary

First World War memorial, 1925, with later additions for the Second World War.

Description

A war memorial cross of 1925 with a boundary treatment of 1930.

MATERIALS: of dressed granite with bronze wreath and plaques. The boundary walls are of rubble stone with concrete coping, metal gates and linked chains.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is a Latin cross on a three-stepped base and tapering plinth. The front (east) face of the cross has a bronze wreath. The front of the plinth has a large bronze plaque that reads: TO OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ 1914 – 1918/ (32 NAMES)/ “THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE”. Below it, fixed to the top step, a smaller plaque reads: 1939 - 1945/ (8 NAMES).

The memorial has an enclosure of low stone walls and piers with metal chain links and gates, which separates the memorial from the street. A bronze plaque fixed to a north pier recounts the history of the memorial up until its rededication in 2008.

History

The war memorial to members of Cricklade Parish who fell in the First World War was unveiled by Major General T.C.P Calley, C.B, M.V.O on 27 September 1925, and dedicated Reverend Canon Wrangham on the same day. The walls around the memorial were added in 1930. The names of the fallen in the Second World War were added later. In 2008 memorial was refurbished and it was rededicated by Reverend Judith Ashby on 28 June of that year. Further minor repairs to the memorial were carried out in 2015 with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.

Reasons for Listing

Cricklade War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a well-crafted cross design in dressed stone;
* Group value: it forms a group with a number of listed buildings in the historic centre of the town.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.