This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9717 / 54°58'17"N
Longitude: -1.5144 / 1°30'51"W
OS Eastings: 431180
OS Northings: 564224
OS Grid: NZ311642
Mapcode National: GBR KBVY.XL
Mapcode Global: WHC3S.Q91H
Plus Code: 9C6WXFCP+M6
Entry Name: Carr-Ellison Park First World War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 October 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1438373
Location: Hebburn, South Tyneside, NE31
County: South Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: Hebburn South
Built-Up Area: Hebburn
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Hebburn St John
Church of England Diocese: Durham
First World War memorial, 1920.
The memorial stands inside the Canning Street entrance to Carr-Ellison Park, at the first junction of drives leading around the park. It is circa 80m to the north-east of Hebburn Hall and the Church of St John (both Grade II-listed). The memorial comprises a stone plinth, rectangular on plan, raised on a three-stage base. Granite pillars on sandstone bases and with foliated capitals flank the plinth. The whole is topped with a cornice that once supported a statue.
Granite plaques to the front and rear of the plinth record the gift of the park as a war memorial. The principal dedicatory inscription to the front reads THE GREAT WAR/ THIS PARK WAS PRESENTED TO THE/ INHABITANTS OF HEBBURN BY/ COLONEL RALPH HENRY CARR-ELLISON C.M.G./ IN MEMORY OF THOSE HEBBURN MEN WHO/ LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES IN THE SERVICE/ OF THEIR COUNTRY, AND AS A TOKEN OF/ GRATITUDE FOR THE SAFE RETURN OF HIS ONLY SON/ JOHN CAMPBELL CARR-ELLISON, LIEUT./ 1ST ROYAL DRAGOONS.
The inscription on the plaque to the rear reads THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY THE/ HEBBURN URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL/ ON BEHALF OF THE INHABITANTS/ AS A TOKEN OF THEIR DEEP APPRECIATION/ OF/ COLONEL CARR-ELLISON’S/ MUNIFICENT GIFT./ JOHN BLACK/ CHAIRMAN/ JULY 1920.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 January 2018.
Colonel Carr-Ellison’s grandfather and father had suggested that the densely populated industrial town of Hebburn on the south bank of the River Tyne would benefit from a public open space: Carr-Ellison’s gift of a public park was intended both to fulfil their wishes and to mark the safe return of his son from the First World War. The Ellison family had acquired the Manor of Hebburn in 1648. From 1897 local residents had permission to use the pleasure gardens and it was the 25 acres surrounding Hebburn Hall that Carr-Ellison donated to the town in 1920.
The grounds already formed the setting for a Boer War memorial of 1903 (unlisted). To mark the gift of the park, a memorial plaque was erected at the entrance. The ceremony at which Carr-Ellison handed over the title deeds to the Town Council was held on 7 October 1920. In 1922 a tall Celtic cross commemorating some 300 local men who had died in the First World War was unveiled in the western part of the park: this cross is no longer extant.
Carr-Ellison Park First World War Memorial, which stands in Carr-Ellison Park, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: an understated yet elegant memorial in the Classical style;
* Group value: with Hebburn Hall and the Church of St John, both Grade II-listed.
Other nearby listed buildings