We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3117 / 52°18'41"N
Longitude: -1.497 / 1°29'49"W
OS Eastings: 434391
OS Northings: 268290
OS Grid: SP343682
Mapcode National: GBR 6ND.0C7
Mapcode Global: VHBXK.05G7
Plus Code: 9C4W8G63+M6
Entry Name: Cubbington War Memorial
Listing Date: 18 October 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1438972
ID on this website: 101438972
Location: St Mary's Church, Cubbington, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV32
Civil Parish: Cubbington
Built-Up Area: Royal Leamington Spa
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Cubbington St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
Tagged with: War memorial
First World War memorial, unveiled 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Cornish granite.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a Latin cross with octagonal ends and the front of the cross bears a Sword of Sacrifice carved in relief. The cross stands on a plain octagonal shaft which, in turn, stands on an out-sailing cornice. The cornice is supported by a square plinth which stands on a three-stepped octagonal base.
The SE facing side of the plinth bears the main dedication formed by leaded lettering, which reads SACRED TO THE MEMORY/ OF/ OUR BRAVE LADS/ WHO FELL FIGHTING FOR/ THEIR COUNTRY’S HONOUR/ AND FREEDOM/ 1914 – 1918/ “LEST WE FORGET”
The NE face of the plinth bears the names of 15 men and the SW face of the plinth bears the names of 16 men. The NW facing side of the plinth bears the inscription “GREATER LOVE HATH NO/ MAN THAN THIS, THAT A/ MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE/ FOR HIS FRIENDS”. JOHN XV.13.
On the riser of the top octagonal step of the base at the front of the memorial are the dates 1939 – 1945 and the names of two men below. On the risers either side of this are a further four names respectively.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 July 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Cubbington as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The design of the Cubbington memorial and its location were decided by public ballot. The memorial cross was produced by C Pullin of Leamington Spa at a cost of £250. Pullin also produced memorials in the nearby Warwickshire villages of Ufton and Harbury. It was unveiled in May 1921 by Lieutenant General Sir John Keir KCB.
After the Second World War the names of those who fell in that conflict were added to the memorial.
Cubbington War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a striking Latin cross with carved decorative details;
* Group value: with the Church of St Mary (Grade I), churchyard wall and gates (Grade II) and the Old Manor House opposite (Grade II).
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings