This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.6297 / 54°37'46"N
Longitude: -1.6117 / 1°36'42"W
OS Eastings: 425164
OS Northings: 526130
OS Grid: NZ251261
Mapcode National: GBR KG5X.V5
Mapcode Global: WHC59.6WSP
Entry Name: Middridge War Memorial
Listing Date: 2 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1439562
Location: Middridge, County Durham, DL5
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Middridge
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Shildon
Church of England Diocese: Durham
First World War memorial, unveiled 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands at the roadside to the south side of The Green, in a square enclosure marked by railings with, to the front, a gate and step from the pavement. The monument, c3m tall, takes the form of a plain Latin cross in rough-hewn grey granite. The cross shaft rises from a tapering pedestal which stands on a step.
The principal dedicatory inscription is recorded on the front face of the pedestal, reading IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE/ MEN FROM THIS DISTRICT WHO FELL/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918./ (NAMES)/ “THEIR BODIES ARE BURIED IN PEACE/ BUT THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVER”. To the front of a step, a sloping granite tablet records the later dedication AND IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES). Two small flower holders* flank this tablet whilst small planters* hang from the railings to either side of the monument.
* Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that these aforementioned features are not of special architectural or historic interest.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 22 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Middridge as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled in December 1921 by Brigadier-General Surtees and dedicated by the vicar of Eldon. It commemorates nine local servicemen who died in the First World War. Following the Second World War the names of a further nine men who died in that conflict were added.
Middridge War Memorial, which stands to the south of The Green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified war memorial cross.
Other nearby listed buildings