This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6242 / 54°37'27"N
Longitude: -1.6421 / 1°38'31"W
OS Eastings: 423204
OS Northings: 525512
OS Grid: NZ232255
Mapcode National: GBR JGZZ.84
Mapcode Global: WHC5G.R17B
Entry Name: New Shildon War Memorial
Listing Date: 2 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1439727
Location: Shildon, County Durham, DL4
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Shildon
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Shildon
Church of England Diocese: Durham
First World War memorial, unveiled 1920 and 1921.
The c6.5m tall Heworth stone memorial stands at the roadside opposite the Railway Institute and Forecourt Walls (Grade II-listed) on Redworth Road. It takes the form of a small wheel-head cross rising from the moulded collar of an octagonal cross shaft. The cross shaft stands on a plinth, square on plan, which stands on a two-stepped base.
The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the plinth reads TO THE GLORIOUS MEMORY OF/ 124 NEW SHILDON MEN WHO LAID DOWN/ THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ “BLOW OUT YE BUGLES OVER THE RICH DEAD!/ THERE’S NONE OF THESE SO LONELY AND/ POOR OF OLD/ BUT, DYING, HAS MADE US RICHER GIFTS/ THAN GOLD.”/ “HE THAT LOSETH HIS LIFE SHALL FIND IT –/ UNTO LIFE ETERNAL.”
The commemorated names are listed on the remaining three sides of the plinth. The inscription to the riser of the upper step of the base reads JOSEPH LENG, AGED 7 YEARS, DROWNED WHILE VISITING HIS FATHER IN FRANCE. All the inscriptions are incised.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at New Shildon as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
When the churchyard for the Church All Saints (Grade II) was extended in 1920, a location was chosen for the war memorial where it was unveiled in October that year by the Archdeacon of Aukland. The memorial was made by Lowe of Durham at a cost of £80. Following the addition of the commemorated names a further unveiling ceremony held in November 1921 was led by the vicar, Reverend PW Francis. As well as 131 local servicemen who died in the First World War, the memorial marks the death by drowning of a child whilst visiting his father in France in 1919.
In 2002 the memorial was moved from the churchyard to a position opposite the Railway Institute (Grade II), c300m to the north-west.
New Shildon War Memorial, which stands on Redworth Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: an austere yet poignant memorial cross;
* Group value: with the Railway Institute and forecourt walls (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings