This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5571 / 54°33'25"N
Longitude: -1.3237 / 1°19'25"W
OS Eastings: 443833
OS Northings: 518198
OS Grid: NZ438181
Mapcode National: GBR MH6R.65
Mapcode Global: WHD6Y.MQV9
Entry Name: War memorial cross outside St Peter's Church
Listing Date: 7 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440569
Location: Stockton-on-Tees, TS18
Local Authority Ward: Parkfield and Oxbridge
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Stockton-on-Tees
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Stockton-on-Tees St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Durham
First World War memorial, unveiled 1920.
The memorial stands outside the Church of St Peter (Grade II*-listed), facing Yarm Road. Made in a pale stone, it takes the form of a tall, hooded, crucifixion. The cross shaft rises from a small moulded pedestal, which stands on a three-stepped base.
The dedicatory inscription is incised to the front face of the pedestal, reading TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN EVER LIVING/ GRATITUDE TO HEROES/ OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919. No names are recorded on the memorial cross: the 62 commemorated servicemen are listed on a wooden plaque inside the church.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 22 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised outside St Peter’s Church, Stockton on Tees, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was unveiled on 27 November 1920 by an ex-serviceman, N Hibbins, and dedicated by Reverend FH Kirkham.
The war memorial cross which stands outside St Peter’s Church, Stockton on Tees, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: a tall Calvary type of war memorial in a pale stone contrasting pleasingly with the dark red brick of the church;
* Group value: with the Church of St Peter (Grade II*).
Other nearby listed buildings