This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1448 / 52°8'41"N
Longitude: 1.3576 / 1°21'27"E
OS Eastings: 629829
OS Northings: 254928
OS Grid: TM298549
Mapcode National: GBR WPN.G2V
Mapcode Global: VHLBJ.HC24
Plus Code: 9F4349V5+W2
Entry Name: Pettistree War Memorial
Listing Date: 13 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441015
Location: Pettistree, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP13
District: East Suffolk
Civil Parish: Pettistree
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Pettistree St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
First World War memorial, by mason A C Stephenson and unveiled on 18 October 1920, with one further name added after the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Portland stone.
DESCRIPTION: Pettistree War Memorial is located within the churchyard of the Church of St Peter and St Paul. It consists of a simple Latin cross rising from a trapezoid-shaped plinth. The whole is set upon a two-stepped square base.
The plinth of the memorial is inscribed on three sides. The First World War dedication reads: IN/ GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN/ OF PETISTREE/ WHO GAVE UP THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919. One of the faces is incised with the names of the fallen from the First World War. The final face carries the name of one who fell in the Second World War preceded by 1939 – 1945.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Pettistree as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was constructed by mason A C Stephenson and was dedicated 18 October 1920 by Rev Canon C D Lawrence. It commemorates nine local servicemen who fell during the First World War.
A further name was added following the Second World War to commemorate one who fell in that conflict.
In 2014-15 the memorial was conserved and the lettering was also repainted in black.
Pettistree War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified Latin cross in Portland stone;
* Group value: with the Greyhound Public House (Grade II) and the Church of St Peter and St Paul (Grade II*).
Other nearby listed buildings