This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.56 / 51°33'35"N
Longitude: 0.7158 / 0°42'56"E
OS Eastings: 588347
OS Northings: 188060
OS Grid: TQ883880
Mapcode National: GBR Y9N.HG
Mapcode Global: VHKHM.C18Y
Entry Name: Sutton Road Cemetery War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 April 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1444573
Location: Southend-on-Sea, SS2
Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish
Ward: St. Luke's
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Prittlewell St Mary Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
First World War memorial. Erected between 1920 and 1939, moved and re-dedicated 1998. Architect unknown.
First World War memorial. Erected between 1920 and 1939, moved and re-dedicated in 1998. Architect unknown.
MATERIALS: carved from limestone.
DESCRIPTION: it consists of a limestone hooded Calvary cross on top of a slender tapering hexagonal shaft. The shaft rises from a square plinth on a two stepped base. The plinth of the memorial is incised with the name of the fallen, although the names are heavily eroded. Angled plaques repeating the inscriptions have been placed at the foot of the memorial. The rededication inscription reads: WE CANNOT TRULY VALUE PEACE UNLESS / WE REMEMBER THE PRICE THAT WAS PAID / AS A SYMBOL OF THAT COST THIS 1914 - 1918 WAR MEMORIAL / FROM THE PARISH OF ST ERKENWALDS IS REDEDICATED / HERE IN COMMEMORATIVE MEMORY OF THE PEOPLE OF / SOUTHEND-ON-SEA WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN BOTH / GREAT WORLD WARS AND SUBSEQUENT CONFLICTS.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 5 June 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw an unprecedented wave of public commemoration with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. One such memorial was erected in the grounds of St Erkenwald’s Church, between 1920 and 1939.
The memorial was moved from its original location at St Erkenwald's to Sutton Road Cemetery as the church was due for demolition. It was re-dedicated at its new site in May 1998.
Sutton Road Cemetery War Memorial, which stands in Sutton Road Cemetery, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: a hooded Calvary atop a hexagonal shaft.
Other nearby listed buildings