History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sutton, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5703 / 51°34'13"N

Longitude: 0.7227 / 0°43'21"E

OS Eastings: 588785

OS Northings: 189231

OS Grid: TQ887892

Mapcode National: GBR YBF.DD

Mapcode Global: VHKHF.GSXK

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 27 July 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113355

English Heritage Legacy ID: 123293

Location: Sutton, Rochford, Essex, SS4

County: Essex

District: Rochford

Civil Parish: Sutton

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Rochford St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TQ 88 NE
11/320 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. Early C17 chancel and nave. C14/C15 bell turret. Date on south
porch 1633. Circa 1869 and later repairs and restorations. Ragstone rubble,
Reigate and Barnack stone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs, cedar shingles to
bell turret and spirelet. Chancel 3 C19 lancet windows, labels over to east
wall, angle buttresses. North wall lancet window, label over, Cl2 rear splays.
South wall, 2 restored lancet windows labels over, that to west taller, the east
window with C12 rear splay. To the east is a blocked partly restored C13
doorway with chamfered jambs and 2-centred arch. Nave, north wall, eastern C19
window of 3 trefoiled lights, tracery over, 2-centred arch and label with stops,
western C12 restored round headed window. C12 rounded headed north doorway,
C15/C16 door of 4 nailed overlapping boards, one strap-hinge. Heavy oak cill.
The doorway is now disused and forms a cupboard. Electricity metres have been
fixed to the inner face. Stone quoins to angles. Wrought iron crosses to gable
apices. West wall C19 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights tracery over, 2-centred
arch, moulded label with foliate stops. Below this window the stonework
suggests a blocked doorway. South wall. Eastern C19 window of 3 trefoiled
lights tracery over, 2-centred arch, label with stops, western C12 round headed
window. South porch gabled and plastered. The moulded, square headed wooden
doorway with sunk spandrels dated 1633, guilloche pattern lintel over, round
door arch with key block. Cl9 barge boards to gable. C20 outer doors. Wrought
iron cross to gable apex. Internally the roof is boarded, the side walls each
have blocked windows of turned balusters, possibly former altar rails. Below
the windows the walls are lined with C17 panelling, partly fluted and partly
plain frieze, names cut on west side Charles Hobson 1647, Samuel Purchas 1647
and ...ard Britridge 1647. South doorway C13 2-centred arch of 3 moulded
orders, moulded jambs of 3 orders have each one attached and 2 free shafts with
moulded capitals and bases. Interior:- Chancel:- C15 roof of 7 cants, square
section 4 armed crown post on central tie beam. Moulded wall plate. C19
coloured tiled floor. C19 stained glass to windows. Altar rails, turned
balusters to possibly older top rails. C19 east window with capitals and bases
to jamb shafts. Brass floor slab to south, from Shopland Church, of Thomas
Stapel, 1371, Serjeant-at-arms, in armour with sword,pointed bascinet, comail
etc., knee-cops and legs below missing, indents of marginal inscriptions,
crocketed canopy and shields. 2 floor slabs, Sarah Nott 1753 and Mary Scratton
1830-1877. Blocked 2-centred arch to south wall; memorial to C. Tyrell MDCXCV
over. Small bible box from Shopland Church. Medieval painting on splays of
north wall C12 window. Alabaster and coloured marble wall monument, mourning
woman, urn and willow 1771, Chester Moor Hall of Sutton Hall, the maker of the
first achromatic telescope. Black and white wall monument to John White of
Rochford 1797. Aumbry with chamfered 2-centred head. Medieval painting to C12
round headed chancel arch of 2 orders on the west face, the inner plain the
outer roll moulded, the responds each have a flat half round attached shaft with
moulded bases and restored capitals, moulded abaci carried around the imposts.
Nave. Simple stage octagonal pulpit. C15 seven cant roof of 3 bays, moulded
wall plates, 4 armed crown posts with moulded capitals and bases. C14/C15
timber bell turret at west end of nave with 4 outer and 4 inner posts, arched
braces to lower and upper portal-frames. South door of a rare type, only 5 are
known in Essex, assembled with counter-rebates, its top and base seem to have
been cut off, similar doors are at Castle Hedingham and Elmstead Churches. This
door was faced to south 1869. Said to be one bell by John Clifton 1638. 2
hatchments. One coat of arms. Circa 1817 organ from Shopland Church, by Gray,
one row of pipes revoiced 1850. C13 font, square with 5 narrow 2-centred arches
to each face, C19/C20 central and angle shafts with moulded capitals and bases,
square base, octagonal plinth and floor slab. Poor box with end bands, barrel
interior lid. North wall monument to Lt Wm Burchell killed on the ship Royal Oak
at Chesapeke, 9 August 1814. C A Hewett 'Church Carpentry' 1974. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TQ8878589231

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.