This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4326 / 53°25'57"N
Longitude: 0.1811 / 0°10'51"E
OS Eastings: 544998
OS Northings: 395084
OS Grid: TF449950
Mapcode National: GBR YXQR.07
Mapcode Global: WHJKM.RZFC
Plus Code: 9F52C5MJ+2C
Entry Name: First World War pillbox, Howden's Pullover
Listing Date: 28 June 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1445083
Location: Skidbrooke with Saltfleet Haven, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
Civil Parish: Skidbrooke with Saltfleet Haven
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Pillbox, built 1917.
Pillbox, built 1917.
MATERIALS: concrete, reinforced with expanded metal lath sheeting (Expamet) and steel rails, poured in situ with timber shuttering internally, sandbag shuttering externally.
PLAN: single cell trapezoid.
EXTERIOR: NE (seaward) elevation is blind and convex. NW and SE elevations each have a single, low set, wide-splayed machine gun embrasure. The rear has a single, rebated doorway mainly blocked. The exterior of the structure has a rusticated appearance left by the sandbag shuttering.
INTERIOR: access to the interior is blocked and the interior is largely filled with sand. The walls have smooth whitewashed concrete surfaces, with horizontal plank shuttering witness marks and rectangular wooden plugs in the side walls, which are probably attachment points for the plank shuttering. Only the top surfaces of the gun embrasures in the NW and SE walls are visible. The internal face of the NE wall is canted up to the ceiling, to match the angle of the external slope and to maintain the thickness of the wall.
Although it is not known exactly when the First World War pillbox at Howden's Pullover was built, it is clear that it was constructed as part of an organised coastal defence system with a series of near identical pillboxes placed at 1000 yard intervals. Their design, with single machine gun embrasures to either side to produce flanking fire across the fronts of the neighbouring pillboxes, are similar to those developed on the Western front in 1917, such as those at West Hazebrouck. The lack of front facing embrasures; the reinforced, convex curved roof at least 1m thick; and the use of sandbag shuttering to the exterior were all designed to make them ‘shell-proof’ to resist naval bombardment. This design illustrates the rapid evolution in thinking compared to those believed to be slightly earlier built on the Holderness coast north of the Humber. The pillbox is thought to have been manned by soldiers of the 7th/8th (combined) Battalions, Sherwood Foresters.
On the outbreak of the Second World War, the First World War pillbox was re-occupied and integrated into the new anti-invasion defences, and was associated with anti-tank cubes blocking the exit off the foreshore at Howden's Pullover (now removed). Later in the Second World War, a rectangular-plan structure, possibly an observation post, was added to the roof; its shape is outlined in cement and a lump of concrete has been built out from the seaward wall to support the E corner. Post-war, the interior has been filled with sand.
The First Word War pillbox at Howden's Pullover, built in 1917, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Date and rarity: built in 1917, First World War pillboxes are rare survivals;
* Technology: as an illustration of the evolving technology and defensive tactics in 1917;
* Group value: as a coherent linear group of First World War pillboxes functionally and physically associated with later Second World War defensive structures.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings