This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7945 / 52°47'40"N
Longitude: 0.7861 / 0°47'10"E
OS Eastings: 587947
OS Northings: 325516
OS Grid: TF879255
Mapcode National: GBR R7N.TTX
Mapcode Global: WHKQC.11M0
Plus Code: 9F42QQVP+QF
Entry Name: East Raynham War Memorial
Listing Date: 2 August 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1447855
Location: Raynham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR21
Civil Parish: Raynham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
First World War memorial, unveiled 30 July 1920, with Second World War additions.
First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.
MATERIALS: Portland stone.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is located in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary (Grade II* listed), within Raynham Park (Grade II registered). The memorial takes the form of a Latin cross standing on an orb, which crowns an octagonal shaft with moulded cap and foot. The shaft rises from a four-sided plinth bearing inscriptions in leaded lettering, below which is a three-stepped square stone base.
INSCRIPTION: The principal inscription is to the front (west) face of the plinth and reads: IN LASTING MEMORY OF/ (12 NAMES)/ 1914 – 1918/ (1 NAME). To the rear (east) face of the plinth is the inscription: "GREATER LOVE HATH/ NO MAN THAN THIS". The six names of those who died during the Second World War were added to the south face with the dates 1939-1945 underneath.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at East Raynham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
East Raynham, like many Norfolk war memorials, is situated within the churchyard of the parish church. It was unveiled on 30 July 1920 by Lady Agnus Durham and dedicated by the Right Reverend Bishop Hamlyn. The memorial originally commemorated 12 local servicemen from East and West Raynham who fell in the First World War and five men and one woman who fell in the Second World War. A further name was added later underneath the First World War inscription and names.
East Raynham war memorial, which is situated in St Mary’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* as an elegant and well-executed Portland stone Latin cross.
* for its relationship with the Grade II* listed Church of St Mary and Grade II registered Raynham Park.
Other nearby listed buildings