History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Langrick War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Langriville, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0207 / 53°1'14"N

Longitude: -0.1207 / 0°7'14"W

OS Eastings: 526152

OS Northings: 348691

OS Grid: TF261486

Mapcode National: GBR JVS.L90

Mapcode Global: WHHLH.3BSN

Plus Code: 9C5X2VCH+7P

Entry Name: Langrick War Memorial

Listing Date: 19 October 2017

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1450494

Location: Langriville, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE22

County: Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Langriville

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Summary


First World War memorial designed by Cecil Greenwood Hare, unveiled 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Description

The memorial stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Margaret (Grade II-listed), overlooking the main road and c30m to the east of the church. It is in the form of a 3.7m tall Latin cross bearing a crucifixion, built in Weldon Stone. It has a two-stepped octagonal base on which stands an octagonal plinth. There are shields carved in relief on four of the plinth sides. The cross shaft is square in section, tapering throughout its length. The stone carved figure of Christ crucified is on the eastern face of the memorial, looking towards the main road.

On the upper tier of the two-stepped base each of the eight sides are inscribed in low relief with the battle areas (south-east) PALESTINE, (south) EAST AFRICA, (south-west) YPRES, (west) AISNE, (north-west) JUTLAND, (north) SOMME, (north-east) MARNE (the eastern side is presently (2017) illegible). Commemorated names are inscribed on bronze plaques attached to the northern and southern sides of the plinth, with a later plaque on the western side recording the names of two men who died in the Second World War.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 January 2018.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Langrick as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 16 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled on 15 August 1920 by Major General Sir Reginald Hoskins DSO in a ceremony led by a number of local clergy. It was designed by the architect Cecil Greenwood Hare and the memorial masons were Messrs Thompson of Peterborough. An additional plaque, bearing the names of those who died during the Second World War, was added at a later date.

Cecil Greenwood Hare (1875-1932) specialised in ecclesiastical buildings and church interiors. Hare was a pupil of George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907) whom he joined as a partner in 1907. After Bodley's death, Hare continued to work in the Bodleian idiom. Bodley and Hare’s practice produced the designs for a number of listed war memorials including those at Castle Donington, Beacon Hill, Tutbury, and the Nottinghamshire County and City Parishes (all Grade II).

Reasons for Listing

Langrick War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Churchof St Margaret, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a simple Calvary cross in Weldon stone designed by the architect Cecil Greenwood Hare.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Margaret (Grade II).

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.