This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0946 / 53°5'40"N
Longitude: -0.3129 / 0°18'46"W
OS Eastings: 513070
OS Northings: 356596
OS Grid: TF130565
Mapcode National: GBR GQW.ZNK
Mapcode Global: WHHL0.5G8Y
Plus Code: 9C5X3MVP+RR
Entry Name: Walcott War Memorial
Listing Date: 11 June 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1455118
Location: Walcott, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN4
Civil Parish: Walcott
Built-Up Area: Walcott
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
First World War memorial unveiled 29 May 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
First World War memorial, 1921, with additions for later conflicts.
DESCRIPTION: Walcott War Memorial is located to the north-west of the Grade-II listed St Oswald’s Church, Walcott, within a gravelled enclosure with a hedge on three sides and a wrought-iron fence on the side facing the road. It is of Clipsham stone with green inset slate panels. It stands 4.5m in height and is formed of an octagonal column which rises from a four-sided plinth and double-stepped base, with the column terminating in a foliated cross. The south-west panel, which faces the road, and the south-east panel are inscribed in black lettering. The south-west face reads: TO OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ IN MEMORY OF/ [NAMES]/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919. The south-east face reads: ALSO TO THE MEMORY/ OF THOSE WHO DIED IN/ THE WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ [NAMES].
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Walcott as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Walcott War Memorial was unveiled on the 29 May 1921. It was constructed by Messrs William Henry Maxey and Sons, building contractors of Sleaford. At a ceremony attended by members of the local community and clergy, relatives and ex-servicemen the memorial was unveiled by the Revd Robert Oborne Walker, Rector of Aswarby and a former Chaplain of the Forces. It was dedicated by the Revd William Cole Ambrose of Billingham. Following the Second World War, two names were added to the memorial.
Walcott War Memorial, which is situated outside St Oswald's Church on the High Street in Walcott, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.
* an elegant and ornate Clipsham stone floriated cross.
* with the Grade II-listed St Oswald's Church.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings