History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cove War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Tiverton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9641 / 50°57'50"N

Longitude: -3.4862 / 3°29'10"W

OS Eastings: 295727

OS Northings: 119349

OS Grid: SS957193

Mapcode National: GBR LJ.MDMM

Mapcode Global: FRA 36LK.FNH

Entry Name: Cove War Memorial

Listing Date: 26 June 2018

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1457251

Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Tiverton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1921.

Description

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1921.

MATERIALS: polished pink granite.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial takes the form of a Latin cross, which is supported by a three-stepped-base. The inscription in lead lettering is on the north-west elevation of the memorial. The inscription on the base of the memorial reads: THIS CROSS IS ERECTED/TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND/ IN EVER LOVING MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO SACRIFICED THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR./ 1914-18./ (NAMES)/ “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS. THAT/ A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.”/ IN HOC SICNO VINCES.

The memorial sits on a stone step and is surrounded by a small, gravelled area.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was raised in the village Cove as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the ten members of the local community who lost their lives during the First World War.

The war memorial was unveiled during a crowded ceremony conducted by Revd J Harrison and Revd TL Bullock on Sunday 5 June 1921, with the unveiling being carried out by Mr WCL Unwin.

The memorial was originally located outside of the church of St John the Baptist,at the junction with Cove Hill, and was enclosed by iron railings. The memorial has since been moved to its current location outside of the village hall following the granting of planning permission for the conversion of the former church into a dwelling in 2011.

Reasons for Listing

Cove War Memorial , unveiled in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made during the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* a well-executed and unusual example of a memorial constructed in polished pink granite.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.