History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fountain in quadrangle of Eastman Dental Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in King's Cross, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5264 / 51°31'35"N

Longitude: -0.1173 / 0°7'2"W

OS Eastings: 530699

OS Northings: 182514

OS Grid: TQ306825

Mapcode National: GBR K6.TZ

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.XWBQ

Plus Code: 9C3XGVGM+H3

Entry Name: Fountain in quadrangle of Eastman Dental Hospital

Listing Date: 29 August 2018

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1458110

Location: King's Cross, Camden, London, WC1X

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: King's Cross

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Summary


Erected in 1931, funded by Sir Alfred Levy.

Description


Erected in 1931, in thanksgiving for the restoration to health of the President of the Royal Free Hospital, Lord Riddell, and funded by Sir Alfred Levy.

MATERIALS: white marble with copper statue.

DETAILS: the fountain comprises a copper statue of a cherub clutching a dolphin standing on a marble urn-shaped support above a shallow circular bowl on a pedestal and square base. It is set on three circular marble steps on an octagonal plinth, which is inscribed:

'1931. THIS FOUNTAIN HAS BEEN ERECTED AND THE COURTYARD BEAUTIFIED AS A PERMANENT MEMORIAL OF THANKSGIVING FOR THE RESTORATION TO HEALTH OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE HOSPITAL THE RT. HON. LORD RIDDELL BY THE HONORARY TREASURER SIR ALFRED LEVY WHO ENDOWED FUNDS FOR THEIR MAINTENANCE.'

History


This fountain was erected in 1931 in thanksgiving for the restoration to health of the President of the Royal Free Hospital, Lord Riddell, and was funded by Sir Alfred Levy. Lord Riddell and Sir Alfred Levy provided substantial funding for the 1928-1931 Eastman Dental Clinic and Sir Alfred Levy provided funding for the Levy Wing of 1931-1932, at the Royal Free Hospital, a purpose-built maternity, physical medicine and orthopaedic unit.

The fountain was removed in 1939 and put into storage until 1994 when it was restored and replaced by the Eastman Dental Hospital.

Reasons for Listing


The 1931 fountain at Eastman Dental Hospital is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:
* as an intact 1930s fountain constructed in good quality materials;

Historical interest:
* for its connection with two major benefactors of the Royal Free Hospital in the early C20. It is dedicated to Lord Riddell, the Chairman of the Royal Free Hospital and was paid for by Sir Alfred Levy the Honorable Secretary of the hospital. Both Lord Riddell and Alfred Levy provided substantial funding for the Grade II Listed 1928-1931 Eastman Dental Clinic and Sir Alfred Levy provided funding for the 1931-1932 Levy Wing at the Royal Free Hospital, a purpose-built maternity, physical medicine and orthopaedic unit;

Group value:
* both by proximity and association as it is situated near the Grade II listed Eastman Dental Clinic, and is of a similar date to it.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.