This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5374 / 52°32'14"N
Longitude: -2.553 / 2°33'10"W
OS Eastings: 362587
OS Northings: 293427
OS Grid: SO625934
Mapcode National: GBR BS.FB5Q
Mapcode Global: VH83F.PHP5
Entry Name: Monkhopton War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 September 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1459122
Location: Monkhopton, Shropshire, WV16
Civil Parish: Monkhopton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
A First World War memorial cross of 1921, constructed using a cider press for the base and with an oak shaft.
A First World War memorial of 1921, restored in 2000.
MATERIALS: a stone base (a former cider press) with an oak cross and a bronze plaque.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial takes the form of a circular roughhewn base and plinth with tooling, an inverted re-used cider press. The restored oak shaft rises to a simple Latin cross. The shaft has carved detailing.
The front face of the plinth has a plaque which reads IN MEMORY OF/ SYDNEY DOWNES . ARTHUR EDWARDS/ AND OF ALL WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ TO SAVE THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918. Above, fixed to the base of the cross shaft is a modern metal plaque which reads IN HONOUR OF THOSE/ WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ THIS RESTORED CROSS/ WAS REDEDICATED ON/ SEPTEMBER 10TH 2000.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. The war memorial cross at Monkhopton was unveiled in 1921 at a ceremony attended by Sir Arthur Lawley, 6th Baron Wenlock. It is shown on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1926. The memorial commemorates the two local servicemen who fell in the First World War, and all those who gave their lives in the conflict. The oak cross and shaft were restored in 2000 and the memorial was rededicated on 10 September of that year.
Monkhopton War Memorial, Shropshire is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the simple form of an oak cross mounted on a stone base (a reused cider press);
* the restoration of the oak cross has been skilfully handled.
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the First World War.
* it is located within the churchyard of the Church of St Peter (listed at Grade II*).