History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Terling War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Terling, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8042 / 51°48'15"N

Longitude: 0.5697 / 0°34'11"E

OS Eastings: 577270

OS Northings: 214851

OS Grid: TL772148

Mapcode National: GBR PJQ.T0C

Mapcode Global: VHJJQ.TXK8

Entry Name: Terling War Memorial

Listing Date: 28 January 2019

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1460050

Location: Terling, Braintree, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Terling

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Summary


First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Description

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located on Church Green close to All Saints Church. It comprises a Latin cross with a Sword of Sacrifice carved in relief on its front face. The cross rises from an octagonal plinth on a two stepped octagonal base.

The plinth is incised with the dedication and names of the fallen. The First World War dedication reads TO THE HONOUR OF THE/ MEN OF TERLING/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR./ 1914 – 1918./ THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED/ IN PROUD AND AFFECTIONATE/ MEMORY BY THEIR GRATEFUL/ FELLOW PARISHIONERS AND/ FRIENDS./ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. The other faces are incised with the names of the fallen those for the Second World War are preceded by 1939 – 1945.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Terling as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled on 27 March 1921 by the Dowager Lady Rayleigh with an address by the Hon C H Strutt and it was dedicated by Rev Canon Galpin. It commemorates 23 local servicemen who died during the First World War. 

Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the four fallen of that conflict. 

The names of the fallen of the nearby village of Fairstead were also added to the memorial at an unknown date; eight from the First World War and two from the Second World War.

Reasons for Listing


Terling War Memorial, which stands on Church Green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegant Portland stone Latin cross with fine lettering and a carved Sword of Sacrifice.

Group value:

* with the United Reform Church (Grade II*), Vine Cottage and Church View (Grade II*), Rose Cottage (Grade II) and All Saints Church (Grade II*).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.