This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4792 / 51°28'45"N
Longitude: -0.6319 / 0°37'54"W
OS Eastings: 495106
OS Northings: 176475
OS Grid: SU951764
Mapcode National: GBR F8K.927
Mapcode Global: VHFTG.029V
Entry Name: Dedworth and Clewer War Memorial
Listing Date: 8 March 2019
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1462252
Location: Windsor and Maidenhead, SL4
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Electoral Ward/Division: Clewer North
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Windsor
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
War memorial, unveiled in 1923. The war memorial is set in a small circular enclosure lined with box hedging and other planting, at the south end of the Clewer Memorial Recreation Ground fronting Dedworth Road.
War memorial, unveiled in 1923. The war memorial is set in a small circular enclosure at the south end of the Clewer Memorial Recreation Ground fronting Dedworth Road.
Materials: Cornish granite.
Description: the memorial consists of a tapering obelisk formed of granite blocks, with a stepped base. It stands on a granite plinth which bears the inscription: “TO THE GLORIOUS DEAD/ OF THIS PARISH 1914-1918/ ALSO TO THE FALLEN OF THE/ SECOND WORLD WAR/ AND SUBSEQUENT ACTIONS/ (Names)”. A fountain basin is attached to the south facing side of the plinth, below the dedication. The plinth is supported by a granite base.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised as part of a wider memorial recreation ground at Clewer, Windsor. It provides a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 190 members of the communities of Dedworth and Clewer, who lost their lives in the First World War. Following the Second World War a dedication to the men who died in that conflict was added to the memorial. The memorial was refurbished in 1999, and the surrounding paths and planting improved in 2009.
The Dedworth and Clewer War Memorial was unveiled in the presence of the Earl of Athlone on Saturday 28 January 1923. The service was conducted by the Rector of Clewer, Arthur T C Cowie, assisted by the Vicar of Clewer, St Stephen’s and the Reverend William Edward Boys, vicar from 1917-1930. The buglers of the Third Battalion of the Grenadier Guards sounded ‘The Last Post’ and ‘Reveille’ at the close of the ceremony.
Funds for the memorial were raised by public subscription, to which the Mayor, the Hon. A P Henderson, contributed generously. It cost £300 to erect, including £195 for the obelisk.
Dedworth and Clewer War Memorial, of 1923, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of the First World War on this local community, and the sacrifice it made in that conflict.
* a simple yet poignant obelisk and a rare example of a memorial incorporating a drinking fountain.
Other nearby listed buildings