This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8572 / 52°51'25"N
Longitude: -2.8409 / 2°50'27"W
OS Eastings: 343479
OS Northings: 329184
OS Grid: SJ434291
Mapcode National: GBR 7D.S0FF
Mapcode Global: WH8B0.BFGZ
Entry Name: Cockshutt War Memorial
Listing Date: 28 May 2019
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1464146
Location: Cockshutt, Shropshire, SY12
Civil Parish: Cockshutt
Built-Up Area: Cockshutt
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
War memorial cross, 1920.
War memorial cross, 1920.
MATERIALS: constructed from Cornish grey granite.
PLAN: the memorial stands within the churchyard of SS Simon and Jude. It is near the boundary with Shrewsbury Road, 30m to the south of the church.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial consists of a Celtic wheel cross with a tapering rectangular shaft, standing upon two-stepped square base with chamfered corners, and a two-stepped square plinth. The head of the cross has relief moulded knot-work in the arms, with a domed circular centre.
The main inscription, in applied lettering, reads ‘WHO DIES IF / ENGLAND LIVES / TO / THE GLORIOUS / MEMORY OF THE / MEN OF THIS / PARISH WHO LAID / DOWN THEIR LIVES / IN A / RIGHTEOUS WAR / 1914-1918’ followed by the 15 names of the fallen soldiers.
There is a polished granite table at the base of the memorial bearing an inscription ‘IN MEMORIAM / 1939-1945’, followed by the seven names of the fallen soldiers of the Second World War, and ‘GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN / THIS THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE / FOR HIS FRIENDS’.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and the official policy of not repatriating the dead; memorials, therefore, provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Cockshutt as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was dedicated on Christmas Day, 1920, in a ceremony attended by the Archdeacon of Salop. The names of those seven parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial. Within the church is a handwritten, illuminated Roll of Honour scroll, and an organ, which is also a memorial to the men who died in the Second World War.
Cockshutt War Memorial, 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* a well-executed and unaltered example of a Celtic wheel-cross type of memorial.
* with the Grade II-listed Church of SS Simon and Jude.
Other nearby listed buildings