This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2703 / 50°16'13"N
Longitude: -3.8631 / 3°51'47"W
OS Eastings: 267323
OS Northings: 42810
OS Grid: SX673428
Mapcode National: GBR QB.LHCH
Mapcode Global: FRA 28S9.YNC
Entry Name: Thurlestone War Memorial
Listing Date: 29 May 2019
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1464182
Location: Thurlestone, South Hams, Devon, TQ7
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Thurlestone
Built-Up Area: Thurlestone
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
War memorial cross, 1921.
War memorial cross, 1921.
MATERIALS: the memorial is constructed from grey granite.
PLAN: prominently positioned on the village green.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a plain Latin cross surmounted upon a tapering octagonal shaft on a square plinth, with a substantial four-stepped square base.
The main inscription in leaded lettering is on the north-east face of the plinth; it reads: ‘IN GRATEFUL MEMORY / OF / THE MEN OF THIS / PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR / LIVES FOR US DURING THE GREAT WAR / 1914 TO 1918’ followed by the 12 names of the fallen parishioners on the upper step of the base.
An additional inscription on the south-east face reads: ‘1939-1945’, followed by 11 names.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Thurlestone as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
It was constructed by Messrs W Osborne and Sons of Sticklepath, Okehampton, to the design prepared by the rector, Reverend F E Coope, based on a C15 village cross at South Zeal (listed Grade II*, NHLE ref 1106010). The memorial was unveiled by General Alexander V C and dedicated by the rector, Reverend F E Coope, and the Wesleyan minister, Reverend S R Hicks, on Thursday 22 September 1921.
The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.
Thurleston War Memorial, 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* a well-executed and unaltered example of a Celtic wheel-cross type of memorial, designed by the local rector and based on a medieval cross.
* with the Grade II*-listed Church of All Saints.
Other nearby listed buildings