History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Culford Estate War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Culford, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3018 / 52°18'6"N

Longitude: 0.6942 / 0°41'39"E

OS Eastings: 583795

OS Northings: 270492

OS Grid: TL837704

Mapcode National: GBR QD6.NBB

Mapcode Global: VHJGG.ZDCS

Plus Code: 9F428M2V+PM

Entry Name: Culford Estate War Memorial

Listing Date: 12 March 2020

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1469234

Location: Culford, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP28

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Culford

Built-Up Area: Culford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Summary


First World War memorial, 1921, with later addition for the Second World War.

Description

First World War memorial, 1921, with later addition for the Second World War.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent location in front of the village hall. It comprises a large obelisk of Portland stone with a square plinth and a two-stepped square base. It stands approximately 4.5m high. The front (west) face of the obelisk has a bronze laurel wreath carrying the following inscription in raised lettering:

THIS MEMORIAL/ WAS ERECTED IN/ GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE MEN/ OF/ THE CULFORD ESTATE/ WHO FELL IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH

Each face of the plinth has the name of one of four parishes carved in relief: CULFORD (west), INGHAM (north), WEST STOW (east) and WORDWELL (south). The names of the fallen are incised on three bronze plaques attached to the west, east and north faces of the plinth. A square, bronze plaque on the west face of the obelisk beneath the laurel wreath is inscribed:

IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THE FOUR PARISHES/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE/ SECOND WORLD WAR 1939–1945/ (NAMES)

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised on the Culford Estate as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 23 men from the parishes of Culford, Ingham, West Stow and Wordwell who worked on the Culford Estate and lost their lives in the First World War. It was designed by architect Sidney Naish of Bury St Edmunds, made by stonemasons Hanchets and F H Goddard. The memorial was unveiled on 11 November 1921 by Earl Cadogan of Culford Hall, the Reverend Mahomed, Rector of Ingham, officiated at the service.

Following the Second World War a further plaque was added to commemorate nine men from the four parishes who died during this conflict.

Reasons for Listing

Culford Estate War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* it has a simple design, in the form of an obelisk, is fitting for its purpose as a memorial structure.

Group value:

* it groups well with Rede Lodge (Grade II) and is adjacent to Culford Park, a Grade-II Registered Park and Garden.


Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.