History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Episcopal Church Of St John The Baptist And Burial Ground, Rothiemurchus

A Category B Listed Building in Badenoch and Strathspey, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.178 / 57°10'40"N

Longitude: -3.8206 / 3°49'14"W

OS Eastings: 290035

OS Northings: 811158

OS Grid: NH900111

Mapcode National: GBR J9YR.6MD

Mapcode Global: WH5K5.8VX3

Plus Code: 9C9R55HH+6Q

Entry Name: Episcopal Church Of St John The Baptist And Burial Ground, Rothiemurchus

Listing Name: Rothiemurchus, Episcopal Church of St. John the the Baptist and Burial Ground

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 330451

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB256

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey

Parish: Duthil And Rothiemurchus

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Find accommodation in
Aviemore

Description

J Ninian Comper, 1929-30. Simple aisleless cruciform church
orientated E/W; harled with self-coloured painted rendered
margins. Small vestry in NW re-entrant angle.
Pointed headed entrance with plank door in centre W gable
flanked by 1929 consecration stone; bartizan bellcote
corbelled out at apex above. 4-bay flanks with pointed-headed
windows with simple Y-tracery, similar fenestration to
transepts and chancel; leaded glazing; slate roof.
Interior: panelled dado to nave and transepts, filled with
pews with carved shaped ends and slender balustraded
rail backs; flat carved balusters to communion rails;
scarlet damask baldachino.
Burial ground; simple burial ground surrounds church.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Plaque inside church

records that it is dedicated to memory of John Peter Grant

of Rothiemurchus 1860-1927. Present building replaced 'iron

church' erected in 1904. Though foundation stone for stone

church laid in 1913, it was not built until 1929-30.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.