History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Salmon Fishing Station, Invershin

A Category B Listed Building in North, West and Central Sutherland, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.9362 / 57°56'10"N

Longitude: -4.4107 / 4°24'38"W

OS Eastings: 257365

OS Northings: 896639

OS Grid: NH573966

Mapcode National: GBR H7HR.6CS

Mapcode Global: WH3BY.6SXD

Plus Code: 9C9QWHPQ+FP

Entry Name: Salmon Fishing Station, Invershin

Listing Name: Invershin Farm and Salmon Station

Listing Date: 7 March 1984

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 330468

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB267

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Creich (Highland)

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: North, West and Central Sutherland

Parish: Creich (Highland)

Traditional County: Sutherland

Find accommodation in
Inveran

Description

Early 19th century, 2-storey, west facing U-plan court,
with boiling house to north (left), twin ice houses in
east range and 4-bay dwelling house south (right);
additional 2-storey, 2-bay wing to dwelling house
projecting south with later main entrance masked by modern
glazed sunparlour. All rubble with tooled ashlar
dressings.
Rear (east) range of courtyard abuts hillside into which
both ice houses are built, with rear chutes and turf roofs
(now covered with corrugated iron) and access to ice
houses in court through 2 segmental headed arches.
Court closed by high coped rubble wall with pair square
dressed rubble gate piers with square caps.
Off centre side entrance to house at right of court with
small modern lean-to porch; 2 ground and 1st floor
windows in west gable (1 1st floor blind); mainly
12-pane glazing; end and ridge stacks; large lateral
stack in north wall serving boiling house; slate roof.
Ridge windvane with salmon at centre east courtyard range.

Statement of Interest

Sited at confluence of Shin and Oykel rivers; long ramp

leads directly from courtyard to river band. Salmon

par-boiled before dispatch by sea, and later by rail, to

south. Salmon fishings of Shin River established by 1791.

"Very valuable", (c.1858).

Unusually complete salmon station complex. Mr. Anderson,

brother of James Anderson who developed the Rispond,

Durness, fishings, was overseer of "Invershin fishings"

before 1813.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.