History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Free Church, Migdale

A Category C Listed Building in North, West and Central Sutherland, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.8974 / 57°53'50"N

Longitude: -4.3186 / 4°19'7"W

OS Eastings: 262666

OS Northings: 892135

OS Grid: NH626921

Mapcode National: GBR H7QV.DK3

Mapcode Global: WH3C5.MRQM

Plus Code: 9C9QVMWJ+XG

Entry Name: Free Church, Migdale

Listing Name: Migdale Free Church Wall and Gate Piers

Listing Date: 7 March 1984

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 330469

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB268

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Creich (Highland)

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: North, West and Central Sutherland

Parish: Creich (Highland)

Traditional County: Sutherland

Find accommodation in
Bonar Bridge

Description

1881. Simple Gothic with centre entrance in south gable;
coursed rubble frontage, harl pointed rubble flanks,
tooled ashlar dressings. Recessed Gothic doorway in
advanced centre bay with nook shafts and continuous
hoodmould linking small flanking lancets; string course
above, with triple lancets under pointed relieving arch;
decorative oculi under apex bellcote; long outer lancets;
angle buttresses with terminal pinnacles.
6-bay flanks lit by narrow pointed headed windows; 2
similar but shorter windows light north gable; angle
buttresses and small finial to north gable. Simple leaded
glazing; slate roof.
Interior: gallery on 3 sides with Gothic cusped blind
arcading to front; panelled pulpit with 5 sided sounding
board, panelled rear and front, clerk's desk below and
flanking stairs with handrails.
Tooled ashlar gate piers with ball finials cast iron
gates; spearhead cast-iron railings on coped rubble
retaining wall.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Memorial to Rev.

Gustavus Aird (1813-98) Minister of Creich Free Church,

within enclosure.

Present church built on site of that erected in 1843.

Interesting group of Free Church buildings, enhanced by

connection with Dr Gustavaus Aird, a local pioneer within

the Free Church at the time of the 1843 Disruption (when

he was Minister at Croich Parliamentary Church) and

afterwards at Creich, where he was Free Church Minister

from 1843 to the time of his death in 1898.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.