History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roman Catholic Chapel, Arisaig

A Category B Listed Building in Caol and Mallaig, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.9114 / 56°54'40"N

Longitude: -5.8428 / 5°50'33"W

OS Eastings: 166167

OS Northings: 786579

OS Grid: NM661865

Mapcode National: GBR CBYG.4J3

Mapcode Global: WGZBR.6KZ1

Plus Code: 9C8PW564+GV

Entry Name: Roman Catholic Chapel, Arisaig

Listing Name: Arisaig Village, Church of Scotland

Listing Date: 23 June 1980

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 330533

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB322

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Arisaig and Moidart

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Caol and Mallaig

Parish: Arisaig And Moidart

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Find accommodation in
Arisaig

Description

James Gillespie Graham, 1810-11. Simple rectangular building
with entrance in centre of 3-bay south elevation. All
roughly coursed rubble with (some painted) tooled ashlar
margins and dressings; harled east gable.
Later centre lean-to porch and round-headed recessed doorway
with moulded architraves; porch has blind side round-headed
windows and simple buttresses. Flanking tall pointed-headed
windows with moulded architraves and simple Y-Tracery with
lattice pane glazing. Large intersecting Y-tracery window
in east gable. Small bellcote at east gable apex (1923); flat
skews and simple skewputts; slate roof.
Interior; simple interior recast and orientated to west.
Mid 1930's pulpit, communion table, lectern and other fittings.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Former R C chapel

built by Clanranald of Arisaig who instructed his Factor,

Mr Brown, that he wished to have school and church "executed

tastefully as well as sufficiently and for that purpose to

have a regular plan which Mr Gillespie was to see

executed..."

Pulpit, communion table and lectern given in memory of Sir

Arthur and Lady (Gertrude) Nicholson (d. 1932 and 1920)

of Arisaig House. Mural tablets to their sons killed 1914 and

1915. Bellcote erected by Miss C C Astley (Lady Nicholson's

sister) of Faire-na-Sgurr.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.