This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.8974 / 56°53'50"N
Longitude: -5.7923 / 5°47'32"W
OS Eastings: 169154
OS Northings: 784854
OS Grid: NM691848
Mapcode National: GBR DB2H.9N6
Mapcode Global: WH0CX.0W2R
Plus Code: 9C8PV6W5+X3
Entry Name: Arisaig House
Listing Name: Arisaig, Arisaig House and Garden Walls
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330550
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB330
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Arisaig and Moidart
Electoral Ward: Caol and Mallaig
Parish: Arisaig And Moidart
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Philip Webb, 1864, rebuilt after fire, Orphoot, Whiting and
Lindsay, 1937; some minor interior alterations for conversion
to hotel, 1981-2. Large gabled, asymmetrical 2-storey and
attic house of austere Arts and Crafts character, the
re-build of 1937 retaining some of the features and the
general layout of the original house, but with additional
northern twin-gabled single storey service wing, re-built
stacks, multi-pane glazing and new interior fittings. All
dark grey sneck coursed rubble with tooled ashlar dressings;
tall stacks renewed in lighter grey sneck coursed masonry.
Deep U-plan NE entrance court with square 3-storey clock
tower with ribbed leaded bellcast roof in right (SW) angle;
off-centre entrance under shallow projecting gabled porch
with recessed door. Entrance flanked by differing
pointed-headed windows, the larger (left) lights stairwell.
Court flanked by wings of irregular roof heights,
terminating at left NE gable by paired gabled single storey
service wing (1937) with rounded angles. SW front; shallow
U-plan with projecting gabled wings linked by terrace; each
gable with ground floor projecting windows, to right shallow
rectangular bay with tripartite, and to left smaller canted
window with more pronounced projection. 2-storey, 3-sided
porch in SE re-entrant angle with pointed-headed relieving
arch, ribbed panelled door with long Arts and Crafts
hinges and with 1937 dated plaque above (see note).
SE elevation; mainly 2-storey and attic, with variety of
wallhead heights, over raised basement, on crown of slope
with terraced garden falling away below. Long asymmetrical
elevation, punctuated by slightly projecting near centre
gable, 1st floor canted oriel to right and long paired
windows to left.
Rear service court to north of irregular form, flanked at NE
by tall narrow gabled building sited against slope with bell
hung in SE gable; now adapted as independent service
accommodation with access to raised 1st floor by forestair.
Plain gabled dormers to all three main elevations, multi-pane
sash and casement windows; tall end, apex and wallhead
stepped stacks; steeply pitched slate roofs.
Interior: simple, spacious interior; entrance hall and inner
stair hall; dog-leg staircase with oak balustrade (1937) with
panels of "cut-out" motifs, mainly birds and flowers but
including a rabbit. Oak doors and door-cases, oak panelling,
1937 chimneypieces. Some alterations of 1st floor bedrooms
by insertion of additional bathrooms (1981-2). Garden walls;
extensive garden walls, steps and terracing, to SE and SW,
culminating in outer boundary wall enclosing vegetable
garden at SE. All walls of coursed rubble, with tooled ashlar
copes, some shaped, and all dating from 1864.
Built for FDP Astley and subsequently lived in by Sir Arthur
and Lady (Gertrude, nee Astley) Nicholson. Badly damaged by
fire in 1935 and re-built by Miss CG Astley-Nicholson
(daughter) 1937. Plaque over SE garden door reads FDPA 1864.
Arisaig House was Philip Webb's only large Scottish country
house. Outstanding site on slope overlooking Loch nan Uamh,
the Moidart coast and Inner Hebrides. Arisaig House now an