This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6983 / 56°41'53"N
Longitude: -6.1043 / 6°6'15"W
OS Eastings: 148835
OS Northings: 763808
OS Grid: NM488638
Mapcode National: GBR CC90.JQW
Mapcode Global: WGZCL.6WGX
Plus Code: 9C8MMVXW+87
Entry Name: Ardnamurchan Parish Church Of Scotland, Kilchoan
Listing Name: Kilchoan, Ardnamurchan Parish Church of Scotland and Enclosing Walls.
Listing Date: 20 July 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330811
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB507
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan
Traditional County: Argyllshire
William Burn, 1827-31. T-plan church, rubble with tooled
ashlar dressings; centre gabled wing projects from south
elevation; long rear (north) elevation. South gable
terminates with small rectangular tower with paired
round-headed louvred openings in long sides, and single
openings in east and west short sides. Tower now capped with
modern roofing felt in place of former spire. Depressed
pointed headed doorways in centre of south, east and west
(blocked) gables; similarly detailed windows, 1 in centre
of east and south gables, blocked in west, and 1 each in
south elevation and 4 in long north wall; painted wooden
transom and mullion, shallow Y-tracery, lattice-pane glazing.
2 small round headed windows light east and west elevations
of centre gable, some windows blind in ground floor, west.
Diagonal buttresses to all angles; diagonally set paired
stacks at east wallhead of centre wing; exaggerated
skewputts; slate roof.
Small burial site with retaining walls in SW re-entrant
Interior; simple galleried interior with original pulpit in
centre of north wall. Tall hexagonal and panelled pulpit
with simple panelled backboard and hexagonal sounding board
decorated with slender finials and pendants; pulpit stairs
with polished wooden handrail and simple balusters. Plain
wooden fronted galleries fill 3 arms of church, reached by
stairs fronting each entrance. 2 iron lamp holders fixed to
south gallery ledge; entrance from south gallery leads to
former Heritor's retiring room.
Enclosing wall; simple drystone enclosing walls surround
church; plain copes.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Present
building replaced former building in graveyard to NW.
Other nearby listed buildings