This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.2181 / 57°13'5"N
Longitude: -3.7596 / 3°45'34"W
OS Eastings: 293836
OS Northings: 815519
OS Grid: NH938155
Mapcode National: GBR K92N.4JR
Mapcode Global: WH5K0.6TZX
Plus Code: 9C9R669R+65
Entry Name: Kincardine Church
Listing Name: Kincardine Church, and Burial Ground Church of Scotland
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 330866
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB545
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Abernethy and Kincardine
Electoral Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey
Parish: Abernethy And Kincardine
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Circa 1780, probably incorporating medieval fragments;
renovated and re-cast 1897. Simple narrow rectangular harled
church; 4-bay long S elevation with entrance in outer W
bay mirrored by similar entrance blocked as window 1897
at E. Pair centre square headed windows, 1 flanked by
small squint vent. Large circular 1987 E gable window with
brick surround. Late 19th century lattice pane glazing;
single S window and E gable light with early 19th century stained
glass. Small gallery window in W gable; W apex, bellcote
with ball finial. Slate roof.
Interior; plain interior; 1897 pine plank dado and ceiling,
pine pews. Later oak communion table and pulpit. 1914-18
mural war memorial. Decorative cast-iron decoration over
enclosed entrance lobby.
Burial ground; simple rubble walls; pair tooled grey granite
square gate piers with simple caps and pair cast-iron
carriage gates. Fine collection early 19th century local
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Church said to have been established on present site by
missionaries from Iona.
Slit vent in S wall a "lepers blink".