History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burial Ground, Kincardine Church

A Category C Listed Building in Badenoch and Strathspey, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.218 / 57°13'4"N

Longitude: -3.7594 / 3°45'33"W

OS Eastings: 293845

OS Northings: 815508

OS Grid: NH938155

Mapcode National: GBR K92N.4M0

Mapcode Global: WH5K0.7T1Z

Plus Code: 9C9R669R+56

Entry Name: Burial Ground, Kincardine Church

Listing Name: Kincardine Church, and Burial Ground Church of Scotland

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 330867

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB545

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Abernethy and Kincardine

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey

Parish: Abernethy And Kincardine

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Find accommodation in
Aviemore

Description

Circa 1780, probably incorporating medieval fragments;
renovated and re-cast 1897. Simple narrow rectangular harled
church; 4-bay long S elevation with entrance in outer W
bay mirrored by similar entrance blocked as window 1897
at E. Pair centre square headed windows, 1 flanked by
small squint vent. Large circular 1987 E gable window with
brick surround. Late 19th century lattice pane glazing;
single S window and E gable light with early 19th century stained
glass. Small gallery window in W gable; W apex, bellcote
with ball finial. Slate roof.
Interior; plain interior; 1897 pine plank dado and ceiling,
pine pews. Later oak communion table and pulpit. 1914-18
mural war memorial. Decorative cast-iron decoration over
enclosed entrance lobby.
Burial ground; simple rubble walls; pair tooled grey granite
square gate piers with simple caps and pair cast-iron
carriage gates. Fine collection early 19th century local
slate tombs.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Church said to have been established on present site by

missionaries from Iona.

Slit vent in S wall a "lepers blink".

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.