History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ardclach Old Parish Church and Burial Ground

A Category B Listed Building in Nairn and Cawdor, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.4837 / 57°29'1"N

Longitude: -3.745 / 3°44'41"W

OS Eastings: 295478

OS Northings: 845056

OS Grid: NH954450

Mapcode National: GBR K83Y.C8H

Mapcode Global: WH5HV.F5X9

Entry Name: Ardclach Old Parish Church and Burial Ground

Listing Date: 26 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 330884

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB554

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ardclach

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Nairn and Cawdor

Parish: Ardclach

Traditional County: Nairnshire

Find accommodation in
Ardclach

Description

Donald McAndrew 1765, remodelling church of 1626 (evident in roll mouldings at E gable). Heightened and given round-headed windows by George Dunbar and John Wilson 1836-8. Interior recast by

Alexander Reid, 1892. Plain T-plan church, rubble with tooled dressings. 2 entrances in north elevation, flanking rear wing, each with round-headed window using lintel as cill. 4 large round-headed windows light long south elevation with single, similar windows in east and west elevations of rear wing; similar small gallery windows. Lattice pane glazing; slate roof.

Mural memorial of 1766 in east gable Interior; galleried interior stripped of most fittings.

Statement of Interest

Building no longer in ecclesiastical use.

Ardclach created a parish in 1650. Church sited at bend of River Findhorn on site of earlier church of St Luag. That portion of

the parish at Ferness crossed the river by a bridge formerly

sited close to church.

Pulpit and some pews from church now in present Parish Church,

the former Free Church. 1766 mural monument in east gable

"Erected" by William Baron, Minister and Jean Grant his wife

to Hugh their son and "ten more of sons and daughters. C(S) to B 23.3.94

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.