This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8654 / 55°51'55"N
Longitude: -3.0908 / 3°5'26"W
OS Eastings: 331828
OS Northings: 664113
OS Grid: NT318641
Mapcode National: GBR 60VM.M8
Mapcode Global: WH6T1.HTDX
Plus Code: 9C7RVW85+4M
Entry Name: Former Manse, Cockpen
Listing Name: The Glebe House (Former Cockpen Manse), Including Stable Block
Listing Date: 14 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331206
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB781
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Bonnyrigg
Traditional County: Midlothian
Southeast (principal) elevation: symmetrical; architraved doorway to centre with panelled timber door; window to each flanking bay. Regular fenestration to first floor.
Northeast elevation: symmetrical; three-bay; gabled bay advanced to left with window centre of ground floor; windows to ground and first floors of right return. Centre and right bays recessed; window to ground floor of centre bay; bipartite windows to ground and first floors of bay to right; gabled dormer to attic floor.
Northwest elevation: asymmetrical; three-bay; advanced gabled bay to left with single window set in gablehead; glazed timber door to ground floor of right return, window to first floor; window to ground and first floors of bay to centre; lean-to at bay to right with single window to ground floor.
Southwest elevation: asymmetrical; lean-to to ground floor obscured by late 20th century conservatory addition; remainder blank.
Variety of timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped stone skews. Droved, coped gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.
Interior: not seen 1998.
Stable Block: U-plan tooled rubble stable block to northwest of house with droved dressings. Three large boarded timber doors to centre; bays to outer left and right advanced; barred window opening to outer left surmounted by ledge and three flight holes, doorway to right return; broad two-leaf boarded timber door to outer right, window opening above; door to left return. Piended grey slate roof with overhanging eaves, lead ridge and modern skylights.
There were a great many repairs to The Glebe House in 1911 following mineral mining underneath it which caused subsidence. In spite of this the former manse survives as a well-proportioned building largely in its original form.
According to the Heritor s Records repairs to the manse were also carried out in 1875. The accounts mention Peddie and Kinnear, who also carried out work on Cockpen Parish Church (see LB780) a few years later, however the extent of their work is not detailed.
Description updated in 2019 to include name of architect.
Other nearby listed buildings