This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8636 / 55°51'49"N
Longitude: -3.0892 / 3°5'21"W
OS Eastings: 331924
OS Northings: 663919
OS Grid: NT319639
Mapcode National: GBR 60VM.ZW
Mapcode Global: WH6T1.JW47
Plus Code: 9C7RVW76+F8
Entry Name: Footbridge, Dalhousie Castle
Listing Name: Dalhousie Castle, Footbridge to Nw of Castle
Listing Date: 1 November 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396488
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48975
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian South
Traditional County: Midlothian
Earlier to mid 19th century, possibly earlier. Segmental-arched, single span footbridge over Dalhousie Burn. Tooled stone blocks; rounded coping stone to parapet. Road covered by grass (2002).
B-Group with Dalhousue Castle. This is a small, simply designed footbridge, positioned within the desigend landascape of Dalhousie Castle (see separate Listing). The grounds had open areas of sweepinf curved woodland were referred to by JC Loudon in 1823 as 'extensive and romantic pleasure grounds' which afford 'delightful summer walks'. The landscape was altered in the mid 19th century. The footbridge is situated within the wooded area which bounds the NW section of Dalhousie Castle policies. A nearby stone wall runs along the roadside between the park and Dalhousie Grange (see separate listing) and a doorway within the wall provides access to the footbridge. Due to its proximity and alignment with Dalhousie Grange, and adjacent cottages, it is thought that this bridge was used by castle servants.
Other nearby listed buildings