This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7521 / 55°45'7"N
Longitude: -4.6304 / 4°37'49"W
OS Eastings: 235010
OS Northings: 654103
OS Grid: NS350541
Mapcode National: GBR 39.BQFH
Mapcode Global: WH2NB.VP67
Entry Name: Mitchell Street Roman Catholic Church (Former United Free), Including Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 2 December 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 331379
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB933
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilbirnie and Beith
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1910; inserted datestone of 1816 (see Notes). Simple first pointed Gothic church incorporating tower at SE angle, rising to octagonal steeple with tall open lancets, pointed hooldmoulds and gargoyles. Buttressed entrance elevation to S with central recessed boarded door in pointed arch tall triple lancets above; gablehead cross; 5 bays of tall lancets to side elevations; small adjoining vestry to NE. Bull-faced squared pale sandstone.
Leaded glazing. Grey slates; straight skews; wallhead stack.
INTERIOR: gallery to S; Gothic hammerbeam roof with boarded timber ceiling.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: cast-iron Gothic gatepiers and wrought-iron gates with quatrefoil motif. Low coped sandstone wall to S and E.
A church of the First Seceders was built on this site in 1816 and was named after its Minister, the Reverend Andrew Mitchell. In 1900 the church became a United Free Church. This was rebuilt as the present church in 1910. In 1921 the church became Our Lady's Roman Catholic Church.
Other nearby listed buildings